New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you be able to share your upgrade process from the original RCA firmware to Hikvision? It seems there is still a high risk of bricking the RCA units. Much appreciated.
Chiming In. From my memory, there was a RCA firmware version that those who did not upgrade their RCA DB to the latest RCA firmware before changing to Hik's firmware was bricking their units. This was around the beginning of last year, or maybe 2020, would have to look back.

One thing to keep in mind, since the firmware will be updated via WiFi, make sure you have a good WiFi connection...It is a quick upgrade...

What RCA firmware build are you running?

camCanuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you be able to share your upgrade process from the original RCA firmware to Hikvision? It seems there is still a high risk of bricking the RCA units. Much appreciated.
Not really, I was one of the original upgraders so it's been a while and I had an original RCA unit.
I went from RCA firmware to EZVIZ (turned off the logo), then LaView, then using the Hik versions since. I just used the batch tool each time to upgrade.

Reaction score
I've written up a detailed report (probably too detailed!) on how I have set up my EZVIZ DB1. I cover how I built a cheap but reliable sensor to detect bell pushes using a Shelly Uni, I provide a detailed analysis of the network traffic generated by the device, I include step-by-step screenshots of using Batch Config Tool and flashing firmware based on the previous post here by @alexdelprete, I provide comparison screenshots of the different apps and some observations about their inter-compatibility (e.g., RCA and Hik-Connect share the same backend, and Guarding Vision can share devices with Hik-Connect/RCA), and I do a bit of dissection on the firmware.
It's probably too much information for most people, but I felt compelled to write up my notes after a fairly long journey learning how to get the most out of it. I hope it's useful. Here it is:

If anyone spots any mistakes or suggestions,I'd be keen to fix them. Just reply here. Thanks, Sean.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've written up a detailed report (probably too detailed!) on how I have set up my EZVIZ DB1. I cover how I built a cheap but reliable sensor to detect bell pushes using a Shelly Uni, I provide a detailed analysis of the network traffic generated by the device, I include step-by-step screenshots of using Batch Config Tool and flashing firmware based on the previous post here by @alexdelprete, I provide comparison screenshots of the different apps and some observations about their inter-compatibility (e.g., RCA and Hik-Connect share the same backend, and Guarding Vision can share devices with Hik-Connect/RCA), and I do a bit of dissection on the firmware.
It's probably too much information for most people, but I felt compelled to write up my notes after a fairly long journey learning how to get the most out of it. I hope it's useful. Here it is:

If anyone spots any mistakes or suggestions,I'd be keen to fix them. Just reply here. Thanks, Sean.
Very, very nice. You should have written our 101...Give me a few days, I will go through your write up, Working this weekend...Thanks...

I put your Article link in the:
HOME ASSISTANT Tips:
section of our 101, if you don't mine...Thanks...

Last edited:

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m trying to chase down issue preventing me from viewing event playback on my Nelly’s flavor db.

I have the db set to record to my NVR (NVR7608-8P-4K2) as well as a microSD card. Whenever I try and view playback on GV or Hik-Connect apps I see the above error, and when I try to view NVR footage at the time of the event the video is stutters, is pixelated, basically outright unusable. I have tried rebooting both NVR & db but that hasn’t helped. When I look up the db settings on the NVR it shows Main/Sub/Main (Event) video settings. In testing the only way I can get playback is if I completely power off the NVR. Any tips/advice would be appreciated as the issue I’m seeing basically makes the db worthless for viewing and footage when doorbell is rang.

Last edited:

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here switched over to using one of two suggested by @seanblanchfield proxies for the Hikvision Doorbell.

Home Assistant RTS2P

I was over doing it a bit streaming to Zoneminder, Blue Iris, Alarm touchscreens, KODI and Amazon.

I also quit using the built in PIR as I could never adjust it properly. Went to using an outdoor 433Mhz PIR (with batteries) connected to a Tasmota 433Mhz wireless hub.

ilovecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone use ONVIF events of the PIR motion detection in Blue Iris?

I can't seem to get mine working (EZVIZ DB1 with the latest Hikvision Firmware).

BlueIris populates all the ONVIF info.

1654098225044.png

I've got the appropriate trigger checkbox enabled:

1654098251732.png

I've got Alerts set up to allow ONVIF:

1654098280152.png

But this alert does nothing:

1654098300184.png

For what it's worth I've also tried with PTZ/Control enabled, with no results

1654098336799.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone use ONVIF events of the PIR motion detection in Blue Iris?

I can't seem to get mine working (EZVIZ DB1 with the latest Hikvision Firmware).

BlueIris populates all the ONVIF info.

View attachment 129554

I've got the appropriate trigger checkbox enabled:

View attachment 129555

I've got Alerts set up to allow ONVIF:

View attachment 129556

But this alert does nothing:

View attachment 129557

For what it's worth I've also tried with PTZ/Control enabled, with no results

View attachment 129558
I just use BI Motion Zones

chow7

n3wb
Reaction score
I can second what @jacha is seeing,

Hikvision DS-HD1 Hardware
Running Hikvision 5.2.4 Build 200321 FW ONVIF snapshot was available at Updated to the latest 5.2.4 Build 211101 that appeared in Hik-Connect and the ONVIF snapshot URL no longer works.

ONVIF is still enabled according to Batch Config. If you you need ONVIF snapshot, don't update.

RTSP still works for the record.

UPDATE
I can confirm that using Batch Config 3.0.2.6 I was able to downgrade the FW back to 5.2.4 Build 200321 and my ONVIF is working again.
going to downgrade as well since I need snapshot for Scrypted. Wish me luck.

gnuB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m trying to chase down issue preventing me from viewing event playback on my Nelly’s flavor db.

I have the db set to record to my NVR (NVR7608-8P-4K2) as well as a microSD card. Whenever I try and view playback on GV or Hik-Connect apps I see the above error, and when I try to view NVR footage at the time of the event the video is stutters, is pixelated, basically outright unusable. I have tried rebooting both NVR & db but that hasn’t helped. When I look up the db settings on the NVR it shows Main/Sub/Main (Event) video settings. In testing the only way I can get playback is if I completely power off the NVR. Any tips/advice would be appreciated as the issue I’m seeing basically makes the db worthless for viewing and footage when doorbell is rang.
Apparently this issue is a known bug on these Hikvision NVR’s. Guess I’ll have to live with it for now, or just rely on the microSD card in the db for backups.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently this issue is a known bug on these Hikvision NVR’s. Guess I’ll have to live with it for now, or just rely on the microSD card in the db for backups.
How many CAMs do you have connected to your NVR?

pezman726

n3wb
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me.
After reading through the 101 and various posts I did the following and it recovered.
Turn off power and wait for the red LEDs to go out
disconnect power kit box and chime if connected
remove sd card and format to FAT32
copy the HIK firmware to the card as downloaded
copy the HIK firmware to the card renamed to digicap.dav (so you have 2 files on the card)
reinstall SD card
press and hold reset button
apply power
LEDs will flash once, do not release reset button
continue to hold the reset button until LEDs turn blue and doorbell announces reset successful
This is a combination of various suggestions on here so not sure if all are necessary as I was trying different things as I read them.
The above is the combination I had when it came back to life..
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!!

My cam just stopped working the other day. Said Not Connected. It is the HikVision model. Had solid red lights, power off and back on, holding reset button did nothing! Had a 128gb card in it, so I downloaded a program to format as fat32 in win10, added just the single firmware file downloaded from the HikVision website. Powered back on while holding the reset, and a few seconds later it was flashing blue and I could reset!!!

Seems to be working fine now. Now to grab the IP and make it static, and set up the recording to continuous through the batch tool!

Thanks for figuring this out! I was freaking out there for a minute...just a month outside my 1yr warranty period!!!

kraven

n3wb
Reaction score
So I just checked the US and EU site and they have not posted the firmware yet...thanks for you post.
I updated using the HIK-Connect app, my DB1 has the stock Ezviz firmware. Version is at the bottom of the pic.

I'm also UK based.

1655213270835.png