Newbie from WA Australia

tamamontu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking at a ip cameras for my house, came across this forum. Have been reading threads on this forum. Excellent and helpful info. It seems Dahua Starlight Ip camera seems the way to go. Majority of the models mentioned are for US. I am looking for cameras with good night vision. In Ausi I have seen VIP cameras. Reading online suggest that they are rebranded Dahua but I could find equivalent starlight options.

Could some pls help with options.

Got few quotes from installers, they all seems to be pushing for fixed lense 6MP camera.

Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
--------------------------------------------------
if you are interested in Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Kingsecurity2018 @ Amazon.com:

Another shout-out to Andy and EmpireTech
------------------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
12) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
13) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
14) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/review-dahua-ipc-k35a-3mp-cube-camera.37581/#post-373517

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered two IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED camers and a 4108 nvr through Andy.
Haha you in the same boat as me.

My installer in the ACT wanted more than 4k ( excluding cabling) for 4 Dahua cams 6mp fixed.

I got a 4108, 3 cams (2 with dual cams), 8tb hd for about $1200 and now about to install.

I had to pay $150 per cable for cat5e though and it was worth it.

tamamontu

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice setup, Wow 4k is a lot, my quotes came around 3k for 5 6mp cameras with 8 chnl dvr 4tb hdd, installed.
Searching wirlhpool forum pointed to this forum.

When you say dual cam what do you mean?

tamamontu

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick update i received the camera's and NVR. Setting them up, first time playing around NVR/Cams so many options and settings. Does any one know where to get user manual for IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED. I tried searching on Dahua website and google but didnt find any. I was trying to test the LED's on the camera in a room, when i switch of the room light, camera leds come on. For one camera the leds go off after some time, where as for the other camera they dont go off at all. Trying to figure out why, within the NVR under image settings both are configured exactly same.

tamamontu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All how to access Dahua NVR using gDMSS mobile app using VPN. I have setup openVPN server and got the NVR on the same network. In the firewall i have configured the rules to block all out going traffic on NVR ports. I have setup VPN client on the phone and it connects to the VPN server. But when i try to use gDMSS app it doesnt show anything.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have a feeling that app cant be used in this situation. Wait for others to chime in...