Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go back to port of origin. They were foolish enough to sail at this uncertain time, they made a poor choice. Not our problem.
When did those passengers board that vessel for their pleasure cruise?

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is your opinion on whether or not cruise ships should be allowed to dock /snip/ some with primarily foreign nationals.
We have them refusing to leave ports, and anchored on borders of International Waters, at locations around Australia. On the surface this poses risk of becoming an unreasonable burden on our medical system. The ships are foreign, as are the crew... "so go home".

Unfortunately if they set off and crew members become critically ill... likely given rates of infection on board... they will be out of range of decent medical assistance. If not, "our" costs of renderering assistance in accordance with international obligations could be significantly more expensive.

I believe that them remaining in proximity might actually be the lesser of two evils.

Cruise tourism has contributed to our economies, and as such vessels deserve safe haven if returning to home port is an excessive risk. I hope no deaths occur on those vessels which abided instructions to leave.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
We have them refusing to leave ports, and anchored on borders of International Waters, at locations around Australia. On the surface this poses risk of becoming an unreasonable burden on our medical system. The ships are foreign, as are the crew... "so go home".

Unfortunately if they set off and crew members become critically ill... likely given rates of infection on board... they will be out of range of decent medical assistance. If not, "our" costs of renderering assistance in accordance with international obligations could be significantly more expensive.

I believe that them remaining in proximity might actually be the lesser of two evils.

Cruise tourism has contributed to our economies, and as such vessels deserve safe haven if returning to home port is an excessive risk. I hope no deaths occur on those vessels which abided instructions to leave.
The longer they sit on their asses the more they use up their resources. Better get going and get to their home port or country.

It would seem that if a country allowed them to be registered there then there should be some sort of obligation.

Those ships that want safe haven in the USA but refuse to go home should at least have to surrender their ship to the USA. All's fair in love and war.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
What is your opinion on whether or not cruise ships should be allowed to dock in the USA some with primarily foreign nationals.

I would think it would make sense to have these ships do one of the following:

• Return to the port of origin of the cruise
  • Go to the country the ship is registered

I don't think it's fair for the ships to head to the USA as a haven. I believe Americans on board should be repatriated to the USA but be tested and quarantined at a appropriate site per the test results. Foreign nationals not already in this country should not be allowed here until further notice.

My view:
-Legal US residents evacuated and quarantined / given appropriate medical care / eventually released to go home
-Anyone else needing urgent care evacuated / quarantined / given appropriate care / eventually assisted in returning to their country
-Non-critical but symptomatic persons: given option to return to their country of origin if possible (via arranged medical flights), otherwise evacuated / quarantined / cared for (there are multiple sites around US for this) / eventual return
-Non-symptomatic passengers: assist them arranging return to their countries, after which they should self-quarantine/isolate
-Ship / non-symptomatic crew: sail to country of registry or standard port of origin

I don't ascribe to the "not our problem" view. This is a world problem and requires cooperative and compassionate approach. Resources for what I describe are a drop in the bucket.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
My view:
-Legal US residents evacuated and quarantined / given appropriate medical care / eventually released to go home
-Anyone else needing urgent care evacuated / quarantined / given appropriate care / eventually assisted in returning to their country
-Non-critical but symptomatic persons: given option to return to their country of origin if possible (via arranged medical flights), otherwise evacuated / quarantined / cared for (there are multiple sites around US for this) / eventual return
-Non-symptomatic passengers: assist them arranging return to their countries, after which they should self-quarantine/isolate
-Ship / non-symptomatic crew: sail to country of registry or standard port of origin

I don't ascribe to the "not our problem" view. This is a world problem and requires cooperative and compassionate approach. Resources for what I describe are a drop in the bucket.
NY has a harbor...send the ship there...there's a USNS medical ship there they can pull up to. :rofl:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read a news that all US at public places have to wear masks, maybe this is a rumor?
Hi Andy,

1) Thank you for sending masks!

2) Big discussions on this topic.

To get an idea you can start out with this twitter:
Jeremy #Masks4All (@jeremyphoward) | Twitter

Jeremy howard ( the twitter account holder ) has recently pushed hard to give out some very good scientific references to support the need for "masks for all" movement. ( he is a data / AI scientist sort of professional - so big on data backing the ideas )

EU countries of Czech, Austria, and Bulgaria have already learned from Asia ( China ( PRC, ROC ), HK, South Korea ) and are implementing masks in public requirement.

In the USA big push now by individuals. I believe they will be successful, Trump and CDC and NIH already discussing this in public as a maybe. imho it may just be a few days before you see this required in cities in the USA. ( the States and Cities have power to require even if the Federal / National government does not )

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My view:

imho We need to stamp out seeds of infection asap so we can get the world economy back to functional.

Thus:
Test all - quarantine all - test all again - test again -> if last 2 tests negative for corona let them go home...

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
We really need wide access to instant test results (15 min) and test everyone and anyone. I think it'd be great if stores checked your temperature before you go inside..doesn't hurt (unless they shoot you in the eyes with one of those laser versions). I think kids, if at all possible, should not accompany their parents into stores.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Here We Go Again: China Puts County On Lockdown After New Corona Cluster Emerges.

Maybe this time China will tell the truth !!

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Those college students on Spring Break should have done something like from their dorms when they had a chance

It’s unfortunate that a handful of them contracted the virus after spring break

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My view:

Ok I’ll admit that was harsh and that your outline of action is most appropriate.

But if they boarded after the other known cruise ship fiascos were well publicized and recently from some port in S America as I assumed (maybe bad assumptions) at minimum it’s yet another case of “my lack of being responsible for my own actions and disregard of common sense and putting others in a bad spot is now your problem” wears thin on me.

We have enough of that mentality here already.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I’ll admit that was harsh and that your outline of action is most appropriate.

But if they boarded after the other known cruise ship fiascos were well publicized and recently from some port in S America as I assumed (maybe bad assumptions) at minimum it’s yet another case of “my lack of being responsible for my own actions and disregard of common sense and putting others in a bad spot is now your problem” wears thin on me.

We have enough of that mentality here already.
What? Personal responsibility...what the hell's that?

Does anyone else find it annoying that the owners of these ships refuse to register in the USA to save money but now they want the USA to save their asses? Go to Bermuda or wherever the fuQ they are registered and seek help. Get the Americans off the ship and send them on their way....yes, even the dumbass Americans who lack personal responsibility because we are the only country that can prevent dumbasses from going extinct.

And, if you can't confiscate their ship then force them to sign an agreement to be registered in the USA for minimum of 10 years (thereby pay tax)...plus, cough up money for expenses related to this issue...plus pay for 100 ventilators (because I said so)....LOL

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn’t trade necessary for global stability?

Could there already be a cure?

Oh shit, it’s April 1st

Last edited: