Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What? Less than 100 people out of +7 billion. More than +75000 people die from the flu last year.
Just more miss information and fear mongering by the news media.
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how viruses spread or general statistics. Do you think the flu started simultaneously with everyone infected at once? It didn't it started just like the coronavirus.

Does this mean we should panic? of course not. That doesn't change the fact that acting like anyone who is concerned is "fear mongering" and blaming the "news media"... well sounds a lot more of a political position than a position of knowledge.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Coronavirus Cases:
of which 3,863 (13%)
in critical condition

Deaths:

Recovered:

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how viruses spread or general statistics
That would be 95% on this forum and 99.5% of the general population, almost 99.9% of the internet. ;) Most people have no idea of what expertise means let alone interpret stats and understand biology etc.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how viruses spread or general statistics. Do you think the flu started simultaneously with everyone infected at once? It didn't it started just like the coronavirus.

Does this mean we should panic? of course not. That doesn't change the fact that acting like anyone who is concerned is "fear mongering" and blaming the "news media"... well sounds a lot more of a political position than a position of knowledge.
What? The news media slanting storys? That Never happens does it? Anybody who has been paying attention say the last 15 years to the main news networks has lost any confidence in what they have been reporting and how many times they in fact DO get it wrong. I have zero faith in any of them anymore. That being said when it comes to this virus, It should be treated with caution and I always have the 1918 spanish flu in the back burner in my brain for now. Time will tell.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have zero faith in any of them anymore.
Agree. I go straight to the experts when it comes to any issue. Also go back to the original source of news etc. WHO website is a good one when it comes to public health emergencies.

To a degree that's why I came here in the first place; to get some expert/less biased advice on IP cameras.

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Coronavirus Cases:
of which 3,863 (13%)
in critical condition

Deaths:

Recovered:
I think China is releasing (fabricating) the minimum numbers possible to still maintain a small amount of credibility, ensure enough fear to keep people compliant with isolation measures, and not create a panic in the financial markets. You are not going to only have something like 60 new deaths in a day when you have almost 4,000 people in critical condition. I fear numbers are far higher.

Cruise ship off of Japan now has over 60 confirmed cases and testing is still ongoing... Yikes!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is why US internet companies were not allowed to setup shop in China.
( those who control the press / radio / media control the story... )

Internet Giants Warned Amid Coronavirus Crackdown
by David Bandurski | Feb 6, 2020

"A notice issued yesterday by the Cyberspace Administration of China, the central agency for control of the internet and social media, provides a glimpse not just of the actions being taken now by the authorities to control information about the coronavirus epidemic, but also of the platforms and activities that have threatened the Party’s dominance of information in recent days.

The notice, for example, singles out a number of WeChat public accounts alleged to have “illegally carried out reporting activities,” meaning that they are accused of acting journalistically, pursuing their own information on the epidemic.

The notice also says that Sina Weibo, Tencent, ByteDance and other internet companies will now be under “special supervision”
.. "

ref:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - for those following the story but not chiming in

CFR (case fatality rate) - ideally you calculate this from actually following an appropriate sample size of cases - from infection to either survive / or not survive.

Also, CFR is actually not a constant - as a number of variables ( like humidity, temp, population behavior, etc.. ) can affect it.

So when I used the calculations from the tencent data - it is clearly an inaccurate number based on a very simplistic calculation which does not even take into affect the time line of affections.
( see post Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned? )

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nothing was guaranteed to any of us when we were born... only the man upstairs knows.

Seems like a man made China virus that got released somehow - supposedly population control? Who knows. I did find out that China’s largest biomedical research facility is in Wuhan.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What? The news media slanting storys? That Never happens does it? Anybody who has been paying attention say the last 15 years to the main news networks has lost any confidence in what they have been reporting and how many times they in fact DO get it wrong. I have zero faith in any of them anymore. That being said when it comes to this virus, It should be treated with caution and I always have the 1918 spanish flu in the back burner in my brain for now. Time will tell.
Sensationalization, spin, whatever (as you noted) has dick to do with how viruses work. Anyone who makes absurd statements like "SouthernYankee" that equate the seriousness of a virus outbreak with the belief that news media is not to be trusted... well I've already made my thoughts on that kind of mentality clear.

As Rebelx pointed out most people don't have the expertise to understand but what is really a shame is how many people COULD understand but don't because listening to expertise somehow threatens their political or philosophical viewpoint. I usually don't post about this kind of stuff but that shit truly pisses me right the fuck off.

If something serious has occurred a "responsible" person won't come to an Internet forum and tell everyone "it's coming from the news therefore it's overblown and don't worry" is an idiot imo. A responsible person would research the topic and understand it before opening their keyboard.

Of course we know the likelihood of that happening.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The reported death rate is not changing as it should. Rather than climbing with an accelerating rate like the infection rate, it is practically linear. It should be a similar shaped curve.

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Video of Americans being evacuated to USA to air force base here. Per CDC, the risk is low, nothing to worry about here. LOL.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now this is worrisome.

Cronora Virus in India

Kerala is a major tourist destination, esp. from Europe. Let’s say some of the European visitors were exposed, and now back in Europe.

Still don’t think were getting an accurate idea the extent of how fast this is spreading, or how contagious. WHO will study the Curse ships in Hong Kong and Japan. Think well get a better idea about epidemiology of this Virus.

As for myself, just got back from Burma (Myanmar this weekend). The Government there stating they were free of any Corona Virus. Many Chinese tourist from Wuhan there getting an early start to Chinese New Year. Scary, it still an dictatorship with a press heavily censored. Gonna be a mess.

On my return to the US, Flew thru Hong Kong. Friggeing sobering what I saw. Yea, I have no doubt, this is going to be bad.

Another big question, North Korea. There is quite a bit of activity on their border with China. How do you think the population going to react? My prediction is Civil unrest and severe military repression of its people. The Korea peninsula is something to keep an eye on. My guess, the virus is already there and population has no idea what’s coming.

One last thing, where is Present Xi Jinping. He has not been seen since the start of this epidemic. This too is very worrisome. Pundit state this is a bad sign for China.

Been 5 days since coming back. I’m trying to stay inside and limit any contact with others. Just want to be sure I’m not going to be a vector for this virus, (lots of time on the computer)

Last edited:

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I live 9 miles from confirmed case in California. Hence, my keen interest in the virus.

How close do the rest of you live to an infected site?

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hospital staff discussing shenanigans and why numbers are underreported. That fits in with the abnormally low numbers we are seeing reported.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found this twitter account to have numerous Wuhan corona virus posts:
( note - some of these are very disturbing....... )

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Time is short if you want to prepare. I've changed focus from trying to avoid it (still plan A) to trying to survive it. In addition to my stockpile of supplies that will hopefully prevent my family from having to leave the house for at least 3 months (abx, fuel, food/water, cash, etc), I am now stocking up on medical supplies (IV catheter kits, lactated ringers/saline bags, O2 generator/tanks, pain meds, etc). The idea being that given enough time and opportunity, everyone will likely get infected. If it happens early and you're at the front of the line, you may come through just fine with good health care from local hospitals. But if you get hit during a wave where the hospitals are overwhelmed, your options will be very limited. Having enough supplies on hand to help support someone with palliative care may make the difference.

Sounds paranoid, but it is still possible to obtain these things NOW. In another week or two, probably not. If your concern level is starting to follow the projected infection death rate curves, get off the forum, and start shopping. None of the things I've purchased are crazy expensive or have a dedicated use. They can all be consumed over time, donated, or disposed of with minimal effort and expense. They are, in effect, cheap insurance. I'd rather been seen as crazy/paranoid and have options, than be a victim of my own unpreparedness should SHTF (an almost statistical certainty now).

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Feds have declared a nearby fire fighting training camp as a designated Coronavirus quarantine site here in Washington state.

Masks even in the hands of the trained are also a problem. Watch people wearing face masks. They constantly touch their masks while wearing them. Most don't even wear them properly. You need a full seal and breathing through the mask, not around them. They are only a short usage item. The big problem for the untrained is thinking they provide more protection than they do. Add to that people touching their heads and faces while wearing them. If you must rely on one, put it on tight and never allow your hands to raise up over your shoulders. No touching, no adjusting. Only after decontaminating your hands can you once more tough anywhere near your face and head. This proper behaviour does not come naturally to the public. Even we healthcare providers have problems following that simple usage necessity.

Also remember your eyes are exposed to aerosolized contagion. mere masks won't do much about that.

Last edited: