Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks so surreal, like a scene out of a movie, but this is reality...
I guess were just supposed to trust them that this is recent video from normally busy locations in Wuhan, China.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Why is there so much smog in the air in Wuhan? I would have thought there would be no industry running right now... Or are they burning "stuff"?

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918. Is history repenting itself?

Attachments

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why is there so much smog in the air in Wuhan? I would have thought there would be no industry running right now... Or are they burning "stuff"?
That's the way it is in China, Still lot's of Coal burning power plants. Travel 2 months thru China in Spring, Asking the Chinese whom traveled to the West, what impressed them the most, was the clear blue sky. I traveled to Wuhan. Incredible city, It's their Detroit, Over 20 million people, Most Auto manufacturing is done there, The Economy going to take a real hit

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A happy face sticker can go along way in this case....

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
They're doing a great job in terms of preparedness, this is something media does not want us to see.
I'm surprised the government wouldn't put it out there to show how they are handling the situation.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm surprised the government wouldn't put it out there to show how they are handling the situation.
They don't want the rest of the world to know how bad it got, or is. And they want to keep it all covered up. The less you know now, the better their story can be afterwords.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think a good predictor of this Virus is what's happening on the 3 Cruise ships. Very difficult to cover up, spin or down play how bad/contagious this Virus is. From what I'm seeking, not good.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think a good predictor of this Virus is what's happening on the 3 Cruise ships. Very difficult to cover up, spin or down play how bad/contagious this Virus is. From what I'm seeking, not good.
I think someone is really screwing up with those cruise ships. So they're parked in tropical zones? Running air conditioning and heating systems.. infected person coughs in their cabin and the air handling system spreads it throughout the entire ship??

No regular dust filter is going to stop a virus.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, to me those cruise ships are incubators unless the air handling systems are state of the art and include some form of sterilization.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree, those ships are essentially worst possible case. For those on board, there is nothing worse. And every time a new case happens the counter resets back to two weeks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The short story is that all the passengers are stuck on board until they all get sick. Somehow, I think they need to find a better solution but dealing with 3000 people at a time is a major logistics problem in this case.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Latest news, the gov will use 4 Universities(Student's apartment) in Wuhan to accept the infected people,Will add 10K Hospital beds.
Dahua will starts to work tomorrowl as Urgent Material Supplier, some people will ask why dahua can do such. Attached file is the reason. The infection data is going down now.Still need days to check if really controlled.

Attachments

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Latest news, the gov will use 4 Universities(Student's apartment) in Wuhan to accept the infected people,Will add 10K Hospital beds.
Dahua will starts to work tomorrowl as Urgent Material Supplier, some people will ask why dahua can do such. Attached file is the reason. The infection data is going down now.Still need days to check if really controlled.
It'd be nice to think the infection rate is slowing or even trending downward. For the last two days it looked like that was the case, but today the rate increased again. There is some suspicion that the 6,000 specimen per day limit of the labs has been met (being that each person requires two separate specimen samples). So any plateau of the infection rate may very well be due to that rather than getting the spread under control. I certainly wouldn't be willing to risk my (or my family's) life with these numbers.

As for the attached presentation, looks like a great way for Dahua to profit from a very real need. I would only question whether the thermal imaging is effective in catching asymptomatic people who are already shedding virus. That's the Achilles heel to this whole pandemic. With a long asymptomatic but contagious incubation period, by the time you catch someone with symptoms who tests positive for the virus, they've already been seeding the population for days/weeks prior. Until they come up with an on-the-spot tester that can check for the presence of the virus in near real-time, containment may be an impossible goal.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That’s my big worry, just got back from Myanmar on Saturday. Was exposed to many Chinese National (many form Wuhan, it’s a popular destination for that region). Flew back thru Hong Kong. Lay over of 8 hours. Then Catyh Pacific flight to SFO. Shared my flight with many Chinese nationals [two days before US flight restriction for Chinese National].

Since coming home, I’ve been self-isolating. Have only 1 more week till I feel comfortable going out in public. Driving me nuts. spending time around reading up on the spread of the Virus. My feeling is that I need to wait 1 more week till I know I’m not a vector.

My profession: Simi-retired Nurse. Mostly work travel assignments. Would like to get back to work, but think it’s best to wait for another month or so to see how this pan’s out. My gut feeling, were about to see a second wave. Don’t think I want to committed to be working in a hospital if I'm right.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That’s my big worry, just got back from Myanmar on Saturday. Was exposed to many Chinese National (many form Wuhan, it’s a popular destination for that region). Flew back thru Hong Kong. Lay over of 8 hours. Then Catyh Pacific flight to SFO. Shared my flight with many Chinese nationals [two days before US flight restriction for Chinese National].

Since coming home, I’ve been self-isolating. Have only 1 more week till I feel comfortable going out in public. Driving me nuts. spending time around reading up on the spread of the Virus. My feeling is that I need to wait 1 more week till I know I’m not a vector.

My profession: Simi-retired Nurse. Mostly work travel assignments. Would like to get back to work, but think it’s best to wait for another month or so to see how this pan’s out. My gut feeling, were about to see a second wave. Don’t think I want to committed to be working in a hospital if I'm right.
If only everyone were as considerate (and knowledgeable), this thing would burn out in no time.