Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
It was a stupid question by the reporter.
Not at all! It's what in press terms is called a softball question.

Any decent public official should be able to use that question to pivot to something useful and say something like:

"It is normal to feel scared, for our loved ones, our friends, our communities, but we need now to focus on how we act.

While people may be scared, there are things that they can do.

By doing the right things, like washing hands, obeying the social distancing and shelter in place rules, they can have a very important impact on the trajectory of this disease. Some of these are hard for us to do, but they matter.

I ask that all Americans come together, not physically of course (pause for icebreaking chuckles), and help each other get through this. Talk to one another. Ask if you can help your neighbor, when they need it.

As a nation we have faced challenges before, and now as then, we will prevail."

Any other president in history could have spun this out without thinking about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Department of Health issuing Public Service Announcements in Spanish? All I'm noticing is English thus far; the Spanish language shouldn't be limited to Spanish channels only. Spanish is the second most spoken language in the United Stats.
USA is # 1

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

Any decent public official should be able to use that question to pivot to something useful and say something like:

"It is normal to feel scared, for our loved ones, our friends, our communities, but we need now to focus on how we act.

By doing the right things, like washing hands, obeying the social distancing and shelter in place rules, they can have a very important impact on the trajectory of this disease. Some of these are hard for us to do, but they matter.

I ask that all Americans come together, not physically of course (pause for icebreaking chuckles), and help each other get through this. Talk to one another. Ask if you can help your neighbor, when they need it.

Any other president in history could have spun this out without thinking about it.

We have enough problems with this virus without people introducing "fear" into the equation. We do not need any more hoarding or people panicking. President Trump is trying to introduce "calm" to the populace when speaking. IMHO the reporter was way out of line.

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
If he ignores the fear that is out there, he's not helping. If he accepts that people are afraid and tells them ways to take some measure of control in their lives, he gives them a strategy to deal with the fear.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wife called PCP to get a script for the test, and he said "come by, we set up a drive-thru" testing lane behind our offices. So she did that. They said they'd have the results by tomorrow evening. 8 days since her patients' tests were sent in, and not a peep. If they really do provide a result by this time tomorrow, I'll eat my socks.

On the upside, I don't think my master bedroom/bathroom have EVER been this clean. Wife has the worst case of cabin fever, and is doing anything/everything (including cleaning!!) to keep her sanity.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Wife called PCP to get a script for the test, and he said "come by, we set up a drive-thru" testing lane behind our offices. So she did that. They said they'd have the results by tomorrow evening. 8 days since her patients' tests were sent in, and not a peep. If they really do provide a result by this time tomorrow, I'll eat my socks.

On the upside, I don't think my master bedroom/bathroom have EVER been this clean. Wife has the worst case of cabin fever, and is doing anything/everything (including cleaning!!) to keep her sanity.
I am professionally interested to hear how long it takes to get a result. Please let us know. And I am sending good thoughts for a negative result. She's in my thoughts.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

An ethical journalist wouldn't have asked the question...The entire briefing was designed to address our fears; that's why Peter Alexander looked foolish and was berated for the question. WH reporters have a long history of gotcha questions--and Alexander's question strayed from the theme of the briefing, which was to address specific actions, plans, demographics, etc. If a person doesn't like Trump and/or they don't like how he's handling this crisis, they'll see this incident as an unwarranted personal attack on a journalist. If you're a fan/agree with how President Trump is using resources to manage the crisis, then you see the attack as, "Knock it off and stick to journalistic integrity."

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It was interesting to see how the whole world (including the WHO) condemned Trump for stopping flights from China. As more countries followed suit, China protested loudly and vehemently, calling Trump racist. Interesting that as of today, China has closed down its borders to all foreigners. Our media? The WHO? Crickets.

On an aside, the WHO said that the virus does not infect canines. As such, they have released all dogs from quarantine. So, to be clear, WHO let the dogs out ... woof woof woof woof woff

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was interesting to see how the whole world (including the WHO) condemned Trump for stopping flights from China. As more countries followed suit, China protested loudly and vehemently, calling Trump racist. Interesting that as of today, China has closed down its borders to all foreigners. Our media? The WHO? Crickets.

On an aside, the WHO said that the virus does not infect canines. As such, they have released all dogs from quarantine. So, to be clear, WHO let the dogs out ... woof woof woof woof woff
Sadly, as you point out "our" media has aided and abetted the Chinese Communists in their mission to change the narrative about the Chinese virus. The Chinese know that our week spot is political correctness.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

He is not any other president. He doesnt "Spin". He punches you in the face. That is why we love him.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

I hope she either doesn't have it or gets well soon if she has.

I'm very strongly suspected of having Covid 19 - diagnosis from several doctors. No testing here atm unless in hospital so impossible to know for sure. However, up to now 15 days in, I've had no temperature although I felt very ill like I've had one. Every other symptom though but not always to the classic degree of severity. So just be aware symptoms can vary massively from person to person. Mine isn't confirmed, but I've heard of a lot of confirmed cases which have ranged from no symptoms at all right through to all the symptoms, and everything in between. Good job forum posts aren't infectious!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Isopropyl alcohol finally arrived...and here it is fellas!

Q's™ Apocalypse Not Now Hand Sanitizer
"Be the last one on your block to be carried out in a box!"®
3.4 oz "Handi-San" economy size
Available at fine forums everywhere the special introductory price of $59.95!

Q's-Hand-Sanitizer.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
There are some make your own recipes out here using pure Isoproyl and from memory Aloe vera.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let me try to take a swing at that...
I understand. These ARE frightening times. But America has persevered through many frightening tribulations. The civil war...the great depression...and World War 2 all tested America's resolve. But IN EACH INSTANCE Americans preservered by uniting, by coming together, by sacrificing, and by working very hard to overcome their fear and triumph. And WE WILL triumph through this ordeal so that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and shall not perish from the earth. God bless America."
My apologies to Mr. Lincoln.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting Opinion,

On a serious note towards pranksters especially,