Known around here
Reaction score
Johnson & Johnson is testing their COVID-19 Vaccine on Monkeys, YAY! :lmao:

1596149164996.png

1596149214538.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Remind me when the president has ”outplayed“ anyone?
I think he outplayed the left today by asking if the election should be delayed. Now the left will fight to the death to see that it happens on schedule. Not because it's right or wrong, but because they're bots that are programmed to oppose the bad orange man.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed two notable additions I made to my signature?

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We should already be well past this with our economy booming back like most of Europe is on track to do. Sigh.
Search for Europe second wave, you'll see an uptick in cases and they are worried about a second wave as people go on their month long vacation.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I could perhaps take global warming seriously is the people preaching it practiced what they preached. You hear people like Gore, Obama, and the hollywoods telling the rest of us what to do while they heat and cool their mansions and fly around in private jets. They warn us that sea levels are rising while buying mansions on the beach. In so many ways the political left tells us what we have to do to avert a crisis while they do just the opposite for themselves.
Humans think they can predict or even change the climate on this plant. That's funny. There is so much we don't understand. We are tracking data from the last couple hundred years from a 4 billion year old planet. Would you think the pandemic was over if there were no reported cases in a 4 hour period today? Science. Can't have it both ways.

Doesn't matter, we've only got 12 years left anyway.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're right that no president could get it all right and nobody wants to be in the hot seat in such a crisis.

But here are a few things I think ANY democrat would have done better, that would have improved the US response:

1. Not reorganize the US pandemic response team in 2018 to save costs. This screwed us up royally this year.
Haven't read an apolitical analysis stating that the reorg caused harm to response. Tim Morrison's article is interesting read:
"...Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity)...:

The previous administration failure to re-supply emergency PPE stock pile, even though funds were provided to do so, as noted in the USA Today fact check, didn't help the response.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Humans think they can predict or even change the climate on this plant. That's funny. There is so much we don't understand. We are tracking data from the last couple hundred years from a 4 billion year old planet. Would you think the pandemic was over if there were no reported cases in a 4 hour period today? Science. Can't have it both ways.

Doesn't matter, we've only got 12 years left anyway.
Please clarify how the Pandemic and Climate change are related, as I certainly see no immediate relationship.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Please clarify how the Pandemic and Climate change are related, as I certainly see no immediate relationship.
I was making a comparison. We have very limited data of Earth's climate. Maybe a century and a half's worth, as accurate instruments are a fairly recent discovery. Yet, many scientists seem to be ok with using this very thin slice of data to make assumptions on the status of our climate.

My point was that it would be similar for a scientist to take a thin slice of pandemic infection data (say a few hours), and use that data to assume the status of the pandemic.

It doesn't work. We've all seen the graphs, flattening the curve, etc.

We don't have an accurate graph of the earths climate from 1000 years ago. Or a million, or a billion, regardless of what they say core samples infer. They are not that accurate, and are cherry picked.

Sorry, got off topic on that one.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I was making a comparison. We have very limited data of Earth's climate. Maybe a century and a half's worth, as accurate instruments are a fairly recent discovery. Yet, many scientists seem to be ok with using this very thin slice of data to make assumptions on the status of our climate.

My point was that it would be similar for a scientist to take a thin slice of pandemic infection data (say a few hours), and use that data to assume the status of the pandemic.

We don't have an accurate graph of the earths climate from 1000 years ago. Or a million, or a billion, regardless of what they say core samples infer. They are not that accurate, and are cherry picked.

Actually there is quite a lot of data, from numerous sources, ranging from core samples to tree rings to sea creature shell characteristics and the data line up quite well. Some are more sensitive to short term fluctuation than others. They are not cherry picked and there is strong concensus in the data from disparate methods. The best representation of the data I've ever seen is in cartoon form here:

Earth Temperature Timeline

Scroll through it from top to bottom. The sudden and uniquely quick upswing is the temperature curve is unlike anything we see elsewhere in the record. If you don't like the cartoon here is a more recent article in Nature that compares five different methodologies:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Haven't read an apolitical analysis stating that the reorg caused harm to response. Tim Morrison's article is interesting read:
"...Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity)...:

The previous administration failure to re-supply emergency PPE stock pile, even though funds were provided to do so, as noted in the USA Today fact check, didn't help the response.

True, Obama administration should have prioritized masks more highly after having repeatedly needed to draw them down. Trump administration ALSO should have done so; he had three years in office before the crisis to do so. Both administrations made this mistake.

And, refer back to my post, I didn't say Trump disbanded/dissolved the pandemic response team, I said he reorganized it. He did. Objective accounts can be found in many places (such as at Snopes ). It was a cost cutting measure and significantly impacted our early response to COVID-19. Some have said that the reorganization of the team was not impactful, but if you examine post #9 IN THIS VERY THREAD, by thread starter @erkme73 , you will see that indeed notifications such as happened in the past were not occurring. His wife is a front line medical worker, here's what he said (please refer to post 9 for full context):

"She said that with MERS and SARS, the CDC was sending notices to physicians (directly and via hospitals) on a regular basis. She has received none from the CDC to date. "

Back in late January, based on erkme73's comments, I asked around some of my medical contacts as to why notices weren't going out like in the past, and they said it was because the office that did that was re-orged by Trump two years ago.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Can we Trust Cuomo on the recent statistics for New York State? Keeps touting that we're at a record low.
NYS is probably actually at that record low now. However, Georgia crowed about record lows too, and look where they are a month or so later...

OF course, if you go to NYS right now you have to quarantine for two weeks, right?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes @Frankenscript that is correct. However, again, how realistic is it to enforce this "quarantine"?

I've seen plates from just about all of the current hotspots (i.e. California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc.) I've come across them all while driving

NYS is probably actually at that record low now. However, Georgia crowed about record lows too, and look where they are a month or so later...

OF course, if you go to NYS right now you have to quarantine for two weeks, right?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes @Frankenscript that is correct. However, again, how realistic is it to enforce this "quarantine"?

I've seen plates from just about all of the current hotspots (i.e. California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc.) I've come across them all while driving
I have heard that Chicago plans on ticketing for infractions. But you are right. How do they know?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @Jessie.slimer

1) Actually this is factually incorrect:
I was making a comparison. We have very limited data of Earth's climate. Maybe a century and a half's worth, ...

If you want to not believe, that's up to you - but it is a complete falsehood that we have only a century and a half's worth of climate data.

Lots of resources online if you really care to learn more about science and the scientific methods.

2) My point was that it would be similar for a scientist to take a thin slice of pandemic infection data (say a few hours), and use that data to assume the status of the pandemic.

I don't recall any scientists being ignorant of data sampling and potential issues with statistics. Again this is why science is encouraged to share their methods and data so that it can be reviewed. That's the scientific process. To test and fact check.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't recall any scientists being ignorant of data sampling and potential issues with statistics.
I agree there when it comes to the pandemic. Thats why I made mention of all the graphs of flattening the curve. The science definitely has the data in this case.

But I will disagree on climate data. Show me all the data you want, but I'm not buying. All the samples are interpreted by humans. There is no direct measurements of temp, pressure, etc.

They didn't even know what direction it was heading just a couple decades ago. Wasn't it global warming? Then global cooling? Then....wait for it.... climate change.

I've heard it a few times on this exact thread. Scientists change their views as data becomes available. I get it. But I haven't seen enough data to make a decision. Maybe its true, but I won't be around long enough to see the data from this cycle.