Replacing Hik with Uniview

300winmag

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hik DS7732 that I bought 5 or 6 years ago and I want to replace it with a new NVR.
I was looking at the Uniview NVR304-32EP-B, I've never seen their software and don't know much about the company.
Is it worth the upgrade? How is their software? Good quality camera's?
I'm finding prices ranging from $500CDN with no tech support to $1500US at Nelly's with great tech support.
How are their cameras compared to hik's? I'm tired of watching a prowler walk 5' in front of my camera's at night and I can't get facial rec because of ghosting.
Any advice would be appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Hik DS7732 that I bought 5 or 6 years ago and I want to replace it with a new NVR.
I was looking at the Uniview NVR304-32EP-B, I've never seen their software and don't know much about the company.
I'm finding prices ranging from $500CDN with no tech support to $1500US at Nelly's with great tech support.
How are their cameras compared to hik's? I'm tired of watching a prowler walk 5' in front of my camera's at night and I can't get facial rec because of ghosting.
The issues you have with your hiks and ghosting is not the brand, its the model and likely insufficient lighting combined with likely high noise reduction settings . The same will happen with uniview if you choose a camera with a small sensor. See threads on hik low light cameras, darkfighter and colorvu.

300winmag

n3wb
Reaction score
I've researched them and was planning on buying them but I finally decided to update my NVR from stock with the last firmware update for my NVR is horrible compared to the one it came with.
I have over 15.000 lumens of light on the front of my house and have done tons of research on the best settings for my issue, constantly playing with the settings but
still cant get a good enough image. I'm just going to upgrade to an NVR that will allow for more storage (I have 14 camera's) and hopefully better software, that and buy much better camera's
like you suggested. Do you have an opinion on that Uniview NVR and any good camera's they make for low light?

Reaction score
As fenderman already said your problem its not brand related but settings related.
Both brands Hik and UNV have similar quality and products.
NVR304-32EP-B is a very powerful NVR with FR and LPR functionality ready ( if you need more info about it pm me)
For low light conditions i suggest IPC2125SR3-ADUPF40 , 5mp mini bullets , starlight (0.005 Lux min) with excellent performance on all VCAs.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On a real computer, study this: Cliff Notes

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess