Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

bbdom

n3wb
Reaction score
there is the option to enable RS-232 (serial) - has anyone had a play to see if we can use the serial port on these cameras over the Ethernet ?
To answer my own question .......

I managed to get a spare 5 minutes to have a play and although I didn't have a USB to TTL (3.3v) converter handy, I hooked up a multimeter to one of the three spare pads on the TOP-201 and ground. I had a nice steady 3.3v

I then had a play with the PTZ on the CMS software - nothing. Tried reconfiguring the serial port to use Transparent / General / Nothing - still nothing.

I logged in through Telnet and had a look at /dev for any interesting TTY ports - there was one labelled ttyS000 so I did a dump of a file through to that - the meter went wild which indicates that we can possibly directly talk to the ttyS000 port on the module.

This opens up all kinds of possibilities for me now - I can hook up a small PIC microcontroller to decode what is coming through the serial port of the TOP-201, control things like a PTZ mechanism, turn on and off lights etc etc. I'd need to write some kind of program to Telnet into the unit and echo commands to the serial port but this shouldn't be too taxing :)

I've also got a couple of other IP cameras with the same serial outputs on so worth having a further play with :)

Kamalas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
Anybody can help me to configure the cam in the IP CAM VIEWER????
Yeah, I couldn't imagine why (Android App) IP Cam viewer would have issue with it. Although they were mentioning the issue in relation to the 1080 unit as opposed to the 720. I doubt it would be much different. User error I imagined.
Also related, see my post on Page 54 #797

I finally have this camera working with "IP Cam Viewer" Android (available IOS too).

Make: A.V. Sistemi
Model: A.V. Sistemi 61xx DVR
Host / IP: (ip address or host address with port forwarding)
TCP Port: 34567 (i changed mine to 34566 for multiple devices using port forwarding).
Channel: 1
username: (as set)
password: (as set)

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Ir led light all
6510 version i have

I updated the firmware in the camera and the light was gone (Energy consumption) is now the camera is not detected on the local network that is It does not receive any IP addresses. Whether it is possible to animate the camera? I understand she flew firmware?

HELP ! HELP ! HELP !

Reaction score
Just to update on my issue with my camera having a malicious iframe inserted. The seller sent me a link to a new firmware that no longer has this problem. Fingers crossed it was a mistake and there is nothing in the new one. Also for anyone updating their firmware using files downloaded from "https://pan.sohu.net" make sure the file you download matches the size it says it should be. The first time I downloaded the new firmware i noticed the file was only 2.5MB when it should have been 6.44MB but chrome did not give any warnings, it just said download complete. Had I not noticed and tried updating with it I guess I would have a brick as a result.

chema79

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to update on my issue with my camera having a malicious iframe inserted. The seller sent me a link to a new firmware that no longer has this problem. Fingers crossed it was a mistake and there is nothing in the new one. Also for anyone updating their firmware using files downloaded from "https://pan.sohu.net" make sure the file you download matches the size it says it should be. The first time I downloaded the new firmware i noticed the file was only 2.5MB when it should have been 6.44MB but chrome did not give any warnings, it just said download complete. Had I not noticed and tried updating with it I guess I would have a brick as a result.
i have 2016-03-04 version, is that the latest version?

rimowa88

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Lojix great helpnfor us,

I need your help as we bought 5 of them and the challenges are the port 34567 and ip 192.168.1.10
how do we differentiate them. We tried to assign different static ip and different media and http ports it works but still the cms can not find them

seems they only like 34567 for all units whilst ip can be change

thx and regards

Martin

spoony77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi people - Im looking to get one of these mini ip cams but would prefer to purchase from the UK to avoid import taxes etc...
Do either of these amazon uk cameras look to be the same as the TOP-201? :- http://www.amazon.co.uk/ELP-Network-Camera-Pinhole-Security/dp/B015S8OKCW?ie=UTF8&keywords=elp onvif&qid=1459434140&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
or this one with wifi enabled? :- http://www.amazon.co.uk/SW-Pinhole-default-Wireless-Security/dp/B010D17QFC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A1IYVIGOA31WSP
Also I have lots of AC power supplies of varying voltages but no DC power supplies - will these work? i.e a 12v 1.5A AC-DC ADAPTER/?

Last edited by a moderator:

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was looking for a small cheap IP cam with cs lens , IR cut filter and ONVIF. Hoping to use a better lens, have low light capability and connect to my NVR.

Found a place that has lots of small cheap IP cams with and without case. I have no affiliation with these guys except as a possible customer.

Small IP Box cams

Small PC Board Cams

Bob

Pokerfjes

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know the camera's URL for grabbing just a single jpg?
The application I'm wanting to use the TOP201 only needs a single image every few hours (or on demand)
Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm really interested in using a few of these cameras in a timelapse-rig powered by a raspberry PI.
I have a few hikvision cameras now, using the snapshot feature in a shell script on the RPI.

rookyrook

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. It just saves 120bytes jpg file. Obviously it contains some text error message.

So the question is open, how do I get a jpg stream from this webcam?
Too bad this is not working for me. webcapture.jpg contains

<html><head><title>404 File Not Found</title></head>
<body>The requested URL was not found on this server</body></html>
I tried to set up snapshots via ftp, but there is no upload, even tho I checked the settings of my local ftp.
V4.02.R.12.00006510.10010.1407

Any idea how to get a simple snapshot?

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got my replacement TOP-201 today. Couple things:
  1. It won't accept a new password for the camera. Should I be trying to change this somewhere besides CMS?
  2. The CCD seems to have smudges on it...before I send it back, can they be cleaned off? I tried swapping lenses and still had the same smudges appear.
  3. Has anyone tried putting a lower amperage power supply on it...say a .5 amp and tried running via USB power?

---------------
EDIT - Managed to finally changed the password on the camera...had to go through a different level of Device Config...very weird...

spoony77

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone tell if an old power supply off a netgear router will be safe to power this cam? Its labelled AC-DC 12v 1.5amp?
Im too scared of blowing something up to even it power it on at the moment!

bbdom

n3wb
Reaction score
Measure the voltage with a meter - if it is exactly (+/- 0.5v) 12v and the tip is positive then it should be fine. I'm running mine from a 12v supply from a portable hard drive at the moment.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Was looking to get one of this small camera for outside for front of my door.
It will be hidden up in the corner out of the rain. Need it to have to see when someone is at the door.

So witch one will be best to get and from what seller, you can post a link here. I wish i can get it within from a Us seller for faster arrival.

Must be POE / IP Ready with Night Vision.

Thanks for any advice and info on this.

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Was looking to get one of this small camera for outside for front of my door.
It will be hidden up in the corner out of the rain. Need it to have to see when someone is at the door.

So witch one will be best to get and from what seller, you can post a link here. I wish i can get it within from a Us seller for faster arrival.

Must be POE / IP Ready with Night Vision.

Thanks for any advice and info on this.
Some of these might work for you, often they will get to you pretty quickly. I have ordered stuff from china and had it arrive in a little over a week.

Small IP Box cams

Small PC Board Cams

Not sure these guys have any PoE cams but you can buy the injectors that come in pairs and place the power supply remotely and power it that way.

You can go to the website at those links and do a search for "power injector" in the "Surveillance Accessories" category and find them cheap. I need to get some of them myself.

Bob

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some of these might work for you, often they will get to you pretty quickly. I have ordered stuff from china and had it arrive in a little over a week.

Small IP Box cams

Small PC Board Cams

Not sure these guys have any PoE cams but you can buy the injectors that come in pairs and place the power supply remotely and power it that way.

You can go to the website at those links and do a search for "power injector" in the "Surveillance Accessories" category and find them cheap. I need to get some of them myself.

Bob
Thanks for that info!

Also found this one: @ ebay , looks really okay and has audio,poe,ip cam.

Security Outdoor HD 1080P IR 2MP POE Network IP Camera Audio ONVIF NightVision

Thanks,

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been able to connect my first camera (the Top 201) to Blue Iris. My image is mirrored in Blue Iris, but displays correctly in CMS. Is there a setting in Blue Iris I can set to correct the image mirroring?

View attachment CMS Pic.bmpBI Pic.jpg

EDIT: I found the setting to mirror the image. Looks like the TOP is super imposing it's own internal time clock onto the image as well...is there a way to modify the settings of the camera itself from within Blue Iris? Or is it required to log into the cam itself?

Tomasz72

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello.
I have camera with IR LEDs. When IR LEDs start and stop working, something "clicking" inside camera. But about 6AM this "clicking" sound wake me up, and make me angry. I want to stop camera clicking. IS it possible to disable something in camera settings?
regards
Ps my camera can not decide, is it day now, or night now, and switching day/night view few times, and clicking few times....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
something "clicking" inside camera.
That will be the mechanical 'automatic IR-cut filter'.
It does click when it switches in or out.
But it should not 'hunt' - should just switch over twice per day.
See what settings there are in the web GUI around 'IR cut' or 'day / night' mode.
You can disable it, or sometimes set the dwell time.