[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

WildDoktor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No there is something wrong there. Mine uses up to about 3% ish processing 60+ images a minute.
Whats the (9) you haven't got 9 instances running have you?

View attachment 71918
Yes; whenever I start at tool, 6 to 9 instances of python start.

balucanb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am getting a unhandled exception error anytime I try and draw a mask. I assume this is because I deleted my cameras folder and everything else before I loaded up the VorlonCD version of AI-Tool? If this is correct anyway to fix it? If not any ideas why this is happening? TIA

Andygds007

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want BI to use the image that was analyzed by AI Tool/Deepstack as the alert image, then I believe you can just use the [ImagePath] variable. If you want BI to use the annotated image that includes the box around detected objects and text label, then enabled AI Tool's "Merge Annotations into images" and "Copy Alert images to folder" options and point the URL trigger "&jpeg=path" to that path instead. You can click the green text at the top of the Actions > Settings window to show you what the variable will output. If I got any of that wrong, I'm sure @Chris Dodge could correct me. :)
Hi Aesterling,

Yes exactly, I want for BI to push alert with the image of AITool (annotated image that include box detected objects). I tried following your instructions, however i tries to copy the image but it gets an error, i think i might be missing something in the settings:

Code:
[22:02:07.986]:          CallTriggerURLs> -> trigger URL called: http://192.168.1.99:3888/admin?trigger&camera=Cam1&user=Agent&pw=XXXXXXXX&flagalert=1&memo=No Summary Found, response: 'signal=green profile=2 lock=0 camera=CAM1: Front Left '
[22:02:07.986]:                  Trigger> Copying image to network folder...
[22:02:07.987]:                CopyImage> File copying from c:\BlueIris\AIinput\Cam1.20201004_181222889.jpg to C:\BlueIris\AIalert\Cam1.20201004_181222889.jpg
[22:02:07.987]:                CopyImage> ERROR: Could not copy image c:\BlueIris\AIinput\Cam1.20201004_181222889.jpg to network path C:\BlueIris\AIalert\Cam1.20201004_181222889.jpg: Could not find file 'c:\BlueIris\AIinput\Cam1.20201004_181222889.jpg'. [FileNotFoundException] Mod: CopyImage(Camera cam, ClsImageQueueItem CurImg) Line:1978:17
[22:02:07.988]:                  Trigger> -> Image copied to network folder.
[22:02:07.989]:             btTest_Click> ------ DONE TESTING TRIGGERS --------
1601864624136.png

Furthermore, i noticed in the log it copies the image AFTER the trigger, isn't it suppose to do it before that?

Thanks let me know.

WildDoktor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@balucanb yes recreate cameras folder for now.
@WildDoktor detais tab, aitool.exe will show true usage of app. The other python instances are deepstack working on your machine which is likely using most cpu
Thanks, you're correct of course; other ython instances are seperate from ai tools.
Funny enough, now the TaskManager is the thing taking up 46% of the CPU. Sheesh!

aralos1999

n3wb
Reaction score
Furthermore, i noticed in the log it copies the image AFTER the trigger, isn't it suppose to do it before that?

Thanks let me know.
Since the triggers happen before the file copy, Blue Iris as a result does not use the markup alert image in the jpeg field.

Please have a look.

Thank you.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you! Is there any possible way you could limit your DeepStack install to under 1GB to simulate what it would be like so I could get an idea of what the response time would be? If it is too much of a hassle, don't bother. I am just worried that I go purchase a NCS2 and find out it ends up worse on my Pi4 than the VM.
Sorry for the delayed response here. I just checked and my Pi is using 460 MB total for memory usage, so I believe that you will be fine with 1 GB.

Andygds007

n3wb
Reaction score
Since the triggers happen before the file copy, Blue Iris as a result does not use the markup alert image in the jpeg field.

Please have a look.

Thank you.
Problematic, how does the AITool keep them in history, so i can grab it? Also is it meant to work this way or is it a bug?
Furthermore I tried manually on my browser to test trigger url with the new parameter &jpeg=path :

As result it did triggered but without with incorrect image. It didn't use this "C:\BlueIris\AIalert\Cam1.20201005_100246640.jpg" image i specified on the URL. What's the correct way of using a custom image with url triggers?

Senor Pibb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
boy do I feel dumb

Yep. Good point.

I got this notification that I thought would have been masked out by my custom mask. On looking at the mask though it only covers some of the van so perhaps the same is happening with yours.
View attachment 71897

View attachment 71896
I got this notification that I thought would have been masked out by my custom mask. On looking at the mask though it only covers some of the van so perhaps the same is happening with yours.
View attachment 71897

View attachment 71896

Attachments

Chris Dodge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Problematic, how does the AITool keep them in history, so i can grab it? Also is it meant to work this way or is it a bug?
Furthermore I tried manually on my browser to test trigger url with the new parameter &jpeg=path :

As result it did triggered but without with incorrect image. It didn't use this "C:\BlueIris\AIalert\Cam1.20201005_100246640.jpg" image i specified on the URL. What's the correct way of using a custom image with url triggers?
@Andygds007 - you might not have the latest version of BI if its not even working manually. It was only released last week.

@aesterling @aralos1999 @Andygds007 - A few things will be fixed related to this in the next version when I have a chance to release. [ImagePath] and the new [ImagePathEscaped] will reflect the copied image location rather than a TEMP folder. And since this used in a URL I think the [ImagePathEscaped] should be used rather than imagepath. Also, the image will be copied before triggering the URL.

Andygds007

n3wb
Reaction score
@Andygds007 - you might not have the latest version of BI if its not even working manually. It was only released last week.

@aesterling @aralos1999 @Andygds007 - A few things will be fixed related to this in the next version when I have a chance to release. [ImagePath] and the new [ImagePathEscaped] will reflect the copied image location rather than a TEMP folder. And since this used in a URL I think the [ImagePathEscaped] should be used rather than imagepath. Also, the image will be copied before triggering the URL.
AMAZING, thank you so much. Sounds good, i will stay tuned. And i will update BI to test it out.

aralos1999

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to also do the file copy file before triggering the Run Program function? Currently file copy is after the Run Program trigger. IMHO, file copy should be the first action.

Please kindly consider this.

Thanks.

Chris Dodge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it possible to also do the file copy file before triggering the Run Program function? Currently file copy is after the Run Program trigger. IMHO, file copy should be the first action.

Please kindly consider this.

Thanks.
Yes, it will copy the image before doing anything else now.

kwhalen58

n3wb
Reaction score
I decided to give this a try and so far I have just about everything functioning with a few exceptions. AI version 1.67, BI5.3.3.3. My only issues are I do not seem to get BI Mobile app notifications any more which isnt a big deal but I also cant seem to get Telegram notifications either. I am not using any duplicate cameras just the single camera set up as per this guide. I do need to get some sort of notification working to alert me of positive alerts.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I decided to give this a try and so far I have just about everything functioning with a few exceptions. AI version 1.67, BI5.3.3.3. My only issues are I do not seem to get BI Mobile app notifications any more which isnt a big deal but I also cant seem to get Telegram notifications either. I am not using any duplicate cameras just the single camera set up as per this guide. I do need to get some sort of notification working to alert me of positive alerts.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks
Did you experience issues with the Telegram setup part or do you get an error in the log related to the Telegram upload?

Or are just the Telegram push notifications not appearing when Telegram is closed? -> disable battery optimizations for Telegram

kwhalen58

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you experience issues with the Telegram setup part or do you get an error in the log related to the Telegram upload?

Or are just the Telegram push notifications not appearing when Telegram is closed? -> disable battery optimizations for Telegram
I likely just do not have the telegram end set up right . I had issues getting the chat id and may still not have that right>

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response here. I just checked and my Pi is using 460 MB total for memory usage, so I believe that you will be fine with 1 GB.
No problem at all for the delay, I understand how other things can come first! I do thank you a ton for sharing that though, it puts my mind at ease and helps me move forward with more confidence. I actually just purchased the NCS2 and it should be here at the end of the week, I'll run an initial test on my Pi4 with a spare SD before ripping it out of Garage service. heh I can accomplish the same task in the garage with a Shelly, let the Pi use its brawn elsewhere and stop eating the CPU on my server for AI.

WildDoktor

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can somebody please point me to an explanation of the "trigger url" box? (Nevermind; I found the explanation in the BI help file.)

I'm a bit confused as to how it works / where it (the trigger box in ai tools) works in the big picture of me getting an alert and my hd stream starting to and stopping record.

The specific things I'm trying to fix (and I don't know if these are ai tool things or BI things):
When I walk outside in front of the camera, stop, move around, wave at the camera, I never get an alert. Same with when my family leaves or arrives. But passers-by get recorded. ???
When I get an sms (or mms, i've tried both), it rarely shows the subject of the alert. A few posts back @aesterling mentioned [ImagePath]; so I setup an image path, and I'm getting images with boxes in the path, but I've added &path=g:\alertimages to the end of my triggers and I don't get those images in my texts.
Another thread suggested setting up email alerts; I did that, but I only get the images in email that I get in my texts.

My trigger urls look like this (ip, port, and un/pw have been removed in these examples):

http://ip:port/admin?camera=hd1&trigger&user=user&pw=password&jpeg=G:\AlertImages
http://ip:port/admin?camera=hd1&flagalert=1&trigger&memo=summary&user=user&pw=password&jpeg=G:\AlertImages

So, what are these triggers actually doing?
UPDATE: I did find that the triggers are BI, not aitools. In the BI help file, under administration, under Direct image and video requests. I'm going to look thru these in more detail and see if my triggers are correct; or at least why these specific ones were suggested in the BI setup video I used as a guide.

Please forgive my ignorance. I've been an IT professional for 30 years, but I've been struggling to get bi/aitools working since I installed it. Quite embarrassing, I assure you!

Last edited: