kc2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Newcomer here. Looking to purchase home security/surveillance cameras/system. Looking for something with good quality day/night, something that can notify me if there is motion, but is on continuously and not just when there is motion. Also looking for something I can monitor myself while at home or away via a secure connection. Looking for any help with this as most of what I have seen requires a monthly subscription.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

ip_poe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome! Many of the systems that offer monthly subscriptions or limited cloud storage-only options are inferior to having your own NVR with a well established free app to view your NVR data and to receive alerts/notifications. Most of the highly advertised and highly marketed products are not nearly as good and cost a lot more in the long run. Avoid using any system that is entirely battery-based or wifi-based cameras. Feel free to post your desired setup details (ex: number of cameras, areas of concern to be monitored, indoor/outdoor coverage, budget, etc.) and I'm sure we can help you pick out the best system and camera types.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Read study plan before spending money.

DO not use a cloud service, Do not use WIFI
-----------------------------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Camera Sensor size info Sensor Size Chart Generally bigger is better

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google Advance search
set site or domain to ipcamtalk.com
OR
in the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Settys

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, there are a lot of great cameras actually nowadays. My brother is working in an electronics store and he told me that the most popular choice is the Wyze cam. He said that it is an amazing choice if taking into consideration the price per quality ratio, as it costs something like 30 bucks. However, it is not that good at night, and it does not notify you if there is motion. I am also looking to get some security cameras, however I still do not know which ones to take. I guess I will read the best home security guide and see what they can actually recommend.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, there are a lot of great cameras actually nowadays. My brother is working in an electronics store and he told me that the most popular choice is the Wyze cam. He said that it is an amazing choice if taking into consideration the price per quality ratio, as it costs something like 30 bucks. However, it is not that good at night, and it does not notify you if there is motion.
A toy, stay away from anything that use's Wifi or the Cloud. You will be disappointed.
Ask all the people that have used Wyze, Arlo, Nest, Ring or the like, that had something happen at night, and their "security footage" was useless because it was so poor it couldn't ID anything. Therefore it was of no use to the Police.
You also need to purchase the proper camera with the proper lens for the job. Plus choose the proper location for the camera.
It's not as simple as slapping up any old camera with a wide angle lens.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Newcomer here. Looking to purchase home security/surveillance cameras/system. Looking for something with good quality day/night, something that can notify me if there is motion, but is on continuously and not just when there is motion. Also looking for something I can monitor myself while at home or away via a secure connection. Looking for any help with this as most of what I have seen requires a monthly subscription.
Welcome @kc2020

You're got some great welcome posts.. definitely review those, and then go over SouthernYankee's post a few times. It contains the best executive summary from the members here.

My reminder:
1st decide what you want to accomplish. ( see DORI notes in the cliff notes )
2nd look for what can meet that goal.
3rd compromise with your budget / home configuration. ( example easier to use attached garage for mounting cameras in good positions as you can work from within the garage )