Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

dgreene157

n3wb
Reaction score
I just lose video if i select h.264 or use any of the dahua options in BI. If i change the bit rate to 4096 on mJpeg the picture is so grainy you can't see it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just lose video if i select h.264 or use any of the dahua options in BI. If i change the bit rate to 4096 on mJpeg the picture is so grainy you can't see it.
That is because you are using mjepg. DONT. it is inefficient. That is the core of your problem.
Note that you MUST use h.264 and set the bitrate to 4096, with h.264 that will provide very clear video.
Your cameras are going out because you are running as a service, using hardware acceleration AND windows 7. cant have all 3..use windows 10 or disable service/hardware acceleration.

dgreene157

n3wb
Reaction score
That is because you are using mjepg. DONT. it is inefficient. That is the core of your problem.
Note that you MUST use h.264 and set the bitrate to 4096, with h.264 that will provide very clear video.
Your cameras are going out because you are running as a service, using hardware acceleration AND windows 7. cant have all 3..use windows 10 or disable service/hardware acceleration.
Disabled hardware acceleration, disabled service, set camera to rtsp and no video.

I'm only following the directions I've seen in this post. Been running BI for over a year, but never paid attention to CPU until recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Disabled hardware acceleration, disabled service, set camera to rtsp and no video.

I'm only following the directions I've seen in this post. Been running BI for over a year, but never paid attention to CPU until recently.

That's because you failed to properly set up the blue iris video tab post your configuration now that you've made the changes

dgreene157

n3wb
Reaction score
remember to reboot blue iris after changes to service.
uncheck decoder compatibility...
disable substream in the camear or change that to h.264 (should not matter but just for future use).
Rebooted after changes.

Used find/inspect

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Rebooted after changes.

Used find/inspect

you onvif discovery port is likely incorrect...try dahua rtsp and also confirm your rtsp port on the camera is set to 554...finally delete the camera in blue iris and add it again starting fresh. try find inspect first then dahau rtsp, then the other dahua options in the drop down.

dgreene157

n3wb
Reaction score
Finally got it to work. I'm down to 30-35% CPU now. Thanks for your help. Is there really a benefit to upgrading to windows 10 on this box?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got it to work. I'm down to 30-35% CPU now. Thanks for your help. Is there really a benefit to upgrading to windows 10 on this box?
I run 10 on all my 20+ machines, there is likely no performance difference...if you want to run HA to further reduce cpu and as a service then yes. Also if your system did not come with a 10 license then you will have to pay to upgrade in two years as you will likely want updates....you can still move to w10 for free. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features...note you will want to do an in place upgrade, ensure activation and then do a clean install using the microsoft media creation tool..always want a clean install on these machines.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should also notice that you can store about 5 times more video using the same storage capacity since your reduced your bitrate from 20000 to 4096

HULKEN

n3wb
Reaction score
fenderman,
I wanted to make sure that the camera buffers to RAM and not the hard drive? Setting is 6mb by default and 40mb is the max. I have cranked mine up to 40mb since I have 32 gigs of ram anyway. I tried 100mb that's how i found out 40 was the max, it changed to 40.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman,
I wanted to make sure that the camera buffers to RAM and not the hard drive? Setting is 6mb by default and 40mb is the max. I have cranked mine up to 40mb since I have 32 gigs of ram anyway. I tried 100mb that's how i found out 40 was the max, it changed to 40.
I dont know where it buffers to...i would guess to memory...doesnt really matter, if you are concerned about SSD wear, its a non issue..even on the older models I have been running them for years in my blue iris pc's...the buffered limit used to be 20..it seems like he changed it at some point..

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
fenderman,
How do you set this on BI? I have 64gb of RAM and rather have it bugger to RAM vs the HD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you set this on BI? I have 64gb of RAM and rather have it bugger to RAM vs the HD.
its not a selection to choose...its simply lets you select the buffer size, not where its buffered.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not a selection to choose...its simply lets you select the buffer size, not where its buffered.
Ok, didn't know so I am trying to figure it out. What setting would it be exactly "to make sure that the camera buffers to RAM and not the hard drive"

go to camera properties and then connection page.
I cannot find "connection" page. I see:
Alerts
Schedule
PTZ/Control
Watchdog
General
Video
Audio
Trigger
Record

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, didn't know so I am trying to figure it out. What setting would it be exactly "to make sure that the camera buffers to RAM and not the hard drive"

I cannot find "connection" page. I see:
Alerts
Schedule
PTZ/Control
Watchdog
General
Video
Audio
Trigger
Record
There is no setting for that...that is my point...

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is no setting for that...that is my point...
yes figured, but what steps can I do to get to camera buffering to RAM?

Looked at the General info on BI, it says:
frame rape 8 fps
bit rate 742 kB/s

what am I seeing here, seems off, is this a setting somewhere or due to reolink still not set correctly?