Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Mike!
I'm obviously doing something wrong. I've been using noip.com as my ddns provider for some time now using their tool to update my hostname. Today, I figured that since I'm using your great tool anyway, why not have it do this as well. In BIT, I selected noip.com and filled in Hostname, Username/E-Mail, and Password. Then I selected Enabled and did the Manual Update/Test. I get a popup box that says, Error #5 - Invalid procedure call or argument. I checked, rechecked and re-rechecked my info for the hostname, username, and password. Does the Error #5 message give a clue as to what I've done wrong?

Thanks!
That's odd, make sure not to change the Query URL, that happens automatically. Just fill out the hostname, Username / E-Mail and password. Did you do that? You can provide me with UltraViewer (like Teamviewer but free - I'm limited to 5 minutes now since I've used it so much). Go to UltraViewer.net, download and install the software then PM me the user ID and Password and I'll remotely connect to see what's up.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer, but I just now got it. Under "Username / E-Mail" I was putting my email address for noip.com, "ssayer@*****.net" (not using asterisks of course). I changed that to only my Username and it immediately worked. Dummy me, I should have tried that as a possibility before asking here!

Thanks again (great tool!)

skydivedani

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Mike!

Thank You for trying to look with RDP. As i wrote if wind is zero, the upload to WU is fine. The error shows only when wind is measured. I sent to you the error screenshot a few hours after you login in PM.

Please help to sort this finally out.

Thanks,
Daniel

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike!

Thank You for trying to look with RDP. As i wrote if wind is zero, the upload to WU is fine. The error shows only when wind is measured. I sent to you the error screenshot a few hours after you login in PM.

Please help to sort this finally out.

Thanks,
Daniel
I have logged into your computer probably 30 times now and it's the same thing. I cannot replicate the issue on my computer. I noticed you have about 25 applications running in your system tray, please disable every other program except Blue Iris and Blue Iris Tools and see if the issue remains.

skydivedani

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I will do a clean install in the future and will notify you with the outcome.

Thanks,
Daniel

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I will do a clean install in the future and will notify you with the outcome.

Thanks,
Daniel
I don't think that's necessary, just close all of those programs in your systray and see if it works. You may have something blocking it.

skydivedani

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi Mike!

I closed all running programs.

Exceptions:
Bitdefender Total Security 2017 - Anitvirus, Firewall ect. disabled.
APC Powerchute Backup manager

I can only uninstall these if you recommend it!

The error still exist (it is windy currently):
error.jpg

You can still RDP if have any idea to fix?!

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Please can you close every single program besides BI and BIT?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: Multiple weather update seems to be working without issues! Should be available in the next update

skydivedani

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Please can you close every single program besides BI and BIT?
Mike,

I have to run Weather Display to update WU, otherwise the problem didnt exists (have to measure wind to see the upload fails or not).

I closed everything what i can, removed Bitdefender and APC Powerchute completely.

Windows Defender is also disabled.

Please see screenshot:
error2.jpg

Last edited:

Krotiz

n3wb
Reaction score
As many others have pointed out non-ssl email isnt supported.

Would this be a lot of work to implement?

Reason being I want to set up the tool to email a local email server rather than google/etc.. but the email software I'm using doesnt support ssl.

Last edited:

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @atoombunker,

As of right now it cannot be run as a service, but it can be automatically started and minimized (to tray or not) when the computer turns on. Check out the 'Options' tab. Will this help you? Maybe in the future I can add the option to run as a service.

I'm not sure of a way to add a blank camera but you could duplicate one of your cameras, add the weather information and not record the new camera. I will see what else I think of :D
BI has a "black screen" camera type - I have used one since getting BIT.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wish the IP address in the Watchdog would not revert to localhost. I want it to watch another BI pc.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
@Mike since BIT is free, is it by any chance also open source so we can contribute if we want?
No it's not open source, but feel free to suggest features.

Just wish the IP address in the Watchdog would not revert to localhost. I want it to watch another BI pc.
It can do that, just disable auto IP

Shan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any way to inlay tidal data? High tides low tides.. Or a graphical representation?

Reaction score
This is a great utility. I was using something else to show the weather on my cams but it was unreliable... so far this is working great. Thanks.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mike,

Do you know a way to add a blank camera to blue iris?
Of course at first such a question sounds strange, but i have the following in mind.
I like the weather overlay very very much.
There is only one concern: having to much information hovering around at your camera view would interfere with the basic functionality of BI as being our primary cam tool for security and protection.
There is of course no objection to have a temp or RV sign somewhere in the corner of specific cams, but why not make an entire screen filled with all kinds of extra info?
And with an entire screen i mean that we would be able to project all kinds of information that is part of the videowall/collection of view offered by BI.
So: i have 20 cams with actual cams displaying their views, and 1 or 2 screens just filled with all kinds of additional information:
Think of weather information, but also internal information from our installation/heatingsystem etc could be displayed on a seperate screen.
Now we know that the only 'limitation' is that we should provide the information in a txt file, we could bring up a dozen extra info items.

Now back to the question: for making such an infoscreen work, we would need to be able to add one or two 'blank' (completely black or white) pages where we can project the info by means of the macrofunction.

Any thoughts on that?

Is there a way to run your software as service (just like blue iris)?
I see that currently your software does not 'live' anymore after a reboot of the server (since your software assumes that a user should always log in and BI tools can start together with that user).
In our situation we run Blue Iris on a seperate machine that just is running as dedicated server without any user logging in.

Atoombunker

This is how I've done this.... Basically add a camera, and use 'Black-out'...

1. Copy a camera.
2. Go to... Trigger/Motion Sensor/ Configure...
3. Check the box 'Black-out masked areas'.
4. Check 'Use zones and hot spots', and click 'Edit'.
5. Click the 'Clear' button to clear and green areas.
6. Click 'OK' 3 times until you exit.
7. The camera display should be black.
8. Setup Overlay.

Now you can setup 24/7 recording with overlays on a black background. CPU is minimal for the copied camera. Overlay is extra!

Update:
Further testing I discovered that the 'Black-out' area is not entirely black. The image shows thru just a bit.
I instead added a black image I downloaded from google images, and stretched it to fit the screen.
Do thing this you'll find you' will need to continually push this image to the back to work on the other overlays, and, finally to see all overlays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Debbie

n3wb
Reaction score
Having some issues with BIT (and the bp2008 web files also)

The v0.16.1 files give the following error...just posting here in case others run into it and start on this thread:
An unexpected error has occurred in UI2 (version unknown).
A full refresh may solve the problem (CTRL + F5).

If you wish to report the error, please SCREENSHOT the browser now.

SyntaxError: Unexpected token '.'
URL: http://censored_hostname/ui2/libs-ui2.js?v=0.16.1
Line: 2
Char: 0

I rolled back to the files in https://www.ipcamtalk.com/bp08/bp2008_bi_webserver_files_2016-05-02_v0.15.1.zip and it's back to normal functionality.

As for the BIT issue...I have the weather configuration for here in Austin. Here is a screenshot of the setup and the most recent results:
View attachment 8979

Now my issue is...these results are incorrect. I run a home automation system (Indigo) that has a plugin for WUnderground data access and I set up the API, etc.
It's been raining in Austin off and on for a few hours now and the precipitation reads 0.00 in BIT but Indigo has it at 1.51 for the day.
BIT doesn't seem to pull down the wind direction...and the speed said 13mph when Indigo was reporting 18mph

It's not a big deal...in theory I could script Indigo to write the TXT files to the Blue Iris server. I'm thinking about doing this anyway so I can overlay each room's temp/humidity on the matching camera view based on the Z-Wave sensor readings in that room.

I just thought I'd mention these 2 things I;m seeing on my system in case others do too and help bring awareness to them...and if no one else is seeing this, maybe get a facepalm moment where I learn I've got something configured wrong. (I have no problem admitting when I've messed up on something...all part of learning.)

I'm a newby and have searched the forums but am not finding an answer, so I apologize in advance if I need to be pointed in the correct direction. I set up BIT and the weather overlay looks great on my camera! My question is yesterday it was raining off and on all day and I was expecting to see an accumulation of precipitation but BIT kept displaying different varying amounts through the day, then at the end of the day it displayed 0. Is there something I can do to change the BIT display to read the daily total throughout the day? WU displays a total of .35 for the day. Thanks so much!!!