Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Error screenshot attached.
Can you please email that file to me so I can try to figure out what is going on? You can email it mike at ipcamtalk dot com.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was finally able to put together an BIT addon to calculate dewpoint. I have it ready to share but I can't upload the zip file. I get an error every time I try. Thoughts? Also, what is my IPCT member #? I don't see that anywhere in my profile.
You are awesome! :headbang: I got your add-on working! Thanks so much for developing that! Checked out your code, that was indeed slightly over my head to do myself, but I think I was kind of on the right track. I do notice though that it goes with a null blank value sometimes and I saw it show -1 dew point on the overlay at some point. I'll have to mess around and see if I can figure out why it's doing that. The value looks to be within 1 degree F of the value that is calculated over at Wunderground, so that's good. Heck it might be even better since Wunderground seems to not show any decimal.

CincyVision.20190610_011129752.jpg

Last edited:

jgray99

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, I glad you like it. I may be a weather snob but dewpoint is so much more meaningful than relative humidity is when determining human comfort. ;)

Actually the hardest part of creating it was finding the formula in a format I could make sense of and use on the command line. It seemed to be pretty accurate in my tests though there were always slight variances with each different online calculator I tried. I'm sure I'll play with it some more if I see either of the strangeness you have seen. I you find something please let me know. If I can make it better I am happy to do so.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks, I glad you like it. I may be a weather snob but dewpoint is so much more meaningful than relative humidity is when determining human comfort. ;)

Actually the hardest part of creating it was finding the formula in a format I could make sense of and use on the command line. It seemed to be pretty accurate in my tests though there were always slight variances with each different online calculator I tried. I'm sure I'll play with it some more if I see either of the strangeness you have seen. I you find something please let me know. If I can make it better I am happy to do so.
I'm in the same weather snob club. I want to see dew point everywhere. It pains me that devices such as smart thermostats and Bluetooth temp/humidity sensors like https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wireless-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Android/dp/B01AEQ9X9I give you relative humidity but do not calculate and report the dew point. Seems that most of the population doesn't understand why dew point is more valuable to understand what it will feel like outside, and hear the word humidity in "relative humidity" so they think that gives them an understanding of how much moisture there is in the air. The lack of dew point in those devices just reinforces it to the population the perception that dew point is just a weather geek thing. That and/or developers don't know how to implement it because formulas for dew point are not straightforward.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll play with it some more if I see either of the strangeness you have seen. I you find something please let me know. If I can make it better I am happy to do so.
You can see the strangeness in my Wunderground timelapse here: Weather Underground You can actually see me first messing around with the dew point overlay for the first time, heh.

Reaction score
I love BI Tools, but I'd love it even more if you could add the option to pull the weather from a local device, especially a uRad Monitor... the RESTful API for it is very well documented here, starting on page 5: https://www.uradmonitor.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/datasheet_a3_v107_en_comp.pdf

This would be great as it'd be pulling data for the exact same location as my cameras, and not from Wunderground's neighborhood monitors, the closest of which is over a mile and a half from my home, and a much different elevation. (Though I've been trying to get Wunderground to support the uRad monitor as an input for ages, they haven't seemed interested, yet)

The uRad monitor provides a wealth of data, as you can see for mine, here: uRADMonitor - Air Quality

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I love BI Tools, but I'd love it even more if you could add the option to pull the weather from a local device, especially a uRad Monitor... the RESTful API for it is very well documented here, starting on page 5: https://www.uradmonitor.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/datasheet_a3_v107_en_comp.pdf

This would be great as it'd be pulling data for the exact same location as my cameras, and not from Wunderground's neighborhood monitors, the closest of which is over a mile and a half from my home, and a much different elevation. (Though I've been trying to get Wunderground to support the uRad monitor as an input for ages, they haven't seemed interested, yet)

The uRad monitor provides a wealth of data, as you can see for mine, here: uRADMonitor - Air Quality
This is possible using the BIT Add-on system, but you would have to code it yourself.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wait, you actually have a webcam successfully uploading to WU????
How long have you had it doing so?
Off and on for several years, since 2015 maybe? Snapshots below of some relevant BlueIris relevant settings. I know one of the key things about doing it in BlueIris is lowering the image upload settings to make the image smaller than 150kb. That's why you see I have the quality % set to 27. I just looked at the Wunderground settings, but I'm scared to touch anything because of how you are asking. I think it "submits it for approval" so I don't want to lose what I have working. I'm not sure anyone works at that company anymore, heh... I have seen it be finicky at times in the past when messing with it, and I wasn't always sure what exactly made it start working.

Wunderground image upload.PNG

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Off and on for several years, since 2015 maybe? Snapshots below of some relevant BlueIris relevant settings. I know one of the key things about doing it in BlueIris is lowering the image upload settings to make the image smaller than 150kb. That's why you see I have the quality % set to 27. I just looked at the Wunderground settings, but I'm scared to touch anything because of how you are asking. I think it "submits it for approval" so I don't want to lose what I have working. I'm not sure anyone works at that company anymore, heh... I have seen it be finicky at times in the past when messing with it, and I wasn't always sure what exactly made it start working.

View attachment 43381
You are one of the few lucky ones. :)
Me and many others can no longer get Webcams to work, you can see many others here: Webcam FTP server status
Yeah, don't touch your settings or you risk never getting it to work again.
After ten years of supplying a webcam image, I can no longer login to the ftp for sometime now.
Since IBM bought them, WU has been all downhill.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I gave up FTPing my webcam to WU months ago; instead I let BI FTP an image to a folder on my domain then give WU the URL to it.....it works.

Reaction score
This is possible using the BIT Add-on system, but you would have to code it yourself.
Yeah, I'm hopeless at coding. Though I might look and see if there are any examples that I could modify to do what I want. Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I gave up FTPing my webcam to WU months ago; instead I let BI FTP an image to a folder on my domain then give WU the URL to it.....it works.
I got tired of futzing with them, I've stopped supplying them data that they were selling. ;)
Most all of the cams that used to be up in my area, have disappeared from WU.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got tired of futzing with them, I've stopped supplying them data that they were selling. ;)
Most all of the cams that used to be up in my area, have disappeared from WU.
Yeah, I'm just about fed up, too.
Where else or what else can we do? I've got a Davis Vantage Vue , coupled via USB to a PC with WeatherLink software. I wouldn't care what they did with my weather data and my webcam as long as their interface worked most of the time (unlike WU).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just about fed up, too.
Where else or what else can we do? I've got a Davis Vantage Vue , coupled via USB to a PC with WeatherLink software. I wouldn't care what they did with my weather data and my webcam as long as their interface worked most of the time (unlike WU).
Roll your own, fairly easy with the templates available today.

adehaan86

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im sure this has been discussed. but how do i connect blue iris tools to BI5? im all up to date.