Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! 1.6.0

simonmason

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using Blue Iris tools to monitor Blue Iris. When Blue Iris Tools notices that Blue Iris is down, I have it restart the app. When it does this I was using the Launch URL in the Watch Dog controls to send an http request to my home automation system to let it know to refresh the camera pages on the touchscreens to restart the video feed from Blue Iris.

When it does this, I see a pop-up window on top of Blue Irish Tools asking for me to select the file to save the JSON request.

The command - below - results in a page with “{ "Response":"ok" }” on the page. I am trying to see if this can be done with no response but I doubt it, as the response is of course intended to let you know that it worked.

There might be a way to redirect the response in the http command but I haven't figured that out yet.

If any one has any ideas on how to solve this - please do let me know.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Dumb question is this app no longer be supported? if not why not I would have expected there are fair number of users out there, it needs some UI update and selectable Weather options JMTC

rjp1267

n3wb
Reaction score
A year + later and the issue seems to still persist. Does the author check this site? I am not sure BIT is really a useful tool, it seems to be dated and not sure the tools provided will make any meaningful improvements. I am new to the tool so I will play around and see what if anything I can make use of otherwise will just uninstall.

Reaction score
This is a great tool to supplement BI. I'm having an issue with the IP updater not running consistently though. My IP changes frequently. When I cannot connect to my IPCTDDNS.com address and have to log into the server, I see at the bottom of the IP Management / DDNS Updater screen: "Updating ipctddns.com..." and "Sending E-Mail..." The IP address shown is no longer current and needs to be refreshed manually. I disabled Watchdog notifications for the short term to see if that helps. Any other suggestions on how to get the IP address updater to work consistently?

Thanks!

Attachments

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Dumb question is this app no longer be supported? if not why not I would have expected there are fair number of users out there, it needs some UI update and selectable Weather options JMTC
A year + later and the issue seems to still persist. Does the author check this site? I am not sure BIT is really a useful tool, it seems to be dated and not sure the tools provided will make any meaningful improvements. I am new to the tool so I will play around and see what if anything I can make use of otherwise will just uninstall.

Not sure if it is under active development or not. The developer @Mike is still active in the ipcamtalk forum as you can see here: Mike but it's been a long time since he's posted in this thread, last post from back in January Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! The latest version of Blue Iris Tools is 1.6.0 which is from January of 2020. I don't think anyone knows anything more than that about it, though one can speculate that he isn't going to update it unless maybe it completely breaks due to some Wunderground API change again. Blue Iris tools though still does work for me and what I want it to do, and I think many others here still use it.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if it is under active development or not. The developer @Mike is still active in the ipcamtalk forum as you can see here: Mike but it's been a long time since he's posted in this thread, last post from back in January Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more! The latest version of Blue Iris Tools is 1.6.0 which is from January of 2020. I don't think anyone knows anything more than that about it, though one can speculate that he isn't going to update it unless maybe it completely breaks due to some Wunderground API change again. Blue Iris tools though still does work for me and what I want it to do, and I think many others here still use it.
I am very due for an update, I apologize. The update system on BIT has been broken for a long time and that sucks. I'll try my hardest to push an update out before Jan 1.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am very due for an update, I apologize. The update system on BIT has been broken for a long time and that sucks. I'll try my hardest to push an update out before Jan 1.

Was this released?

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Mike
Out of curiosity - Are you moving to another weather station service with a new API...or just fixing whatever is broken with the wunderground API?

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The current version works, you just get the popup about not being able to update. That's a minor issue but the current version works as is otherwise.
That's good to hear.
Problem though is that I can't get past the "Error connecting to wunderground" message.

meissen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to play around with which wunderground PWS you're using. What I have found is that every now and then mine will stop updating - I'll switch it to a different weatherstation and then it connects and works and I'll run it off of that station for awhile. Maybe that's what you're experiencing?

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to play around with which wunderground PWS you're using. What I have found is that every now and then mine will stop updating - I'll switch it to a different weatherstation and then it connects and works and I'll run it off of that station for awhile. Maybe that's what you're experiencing?
It's been a while since I checked mine - I was a stout user of Wunderground - ultimately I centralized - My smarthome is Hubitat - I connected to openweathermap - then I take the variables I'm tracking (Lux and a few others and store them into Hubitat variables, write them to a text file, then use the BIT overlay ... maybe that might help someone.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Just checking to see, does anyone use CumulusMX for their weather station and have been able to integrate it into Blue Iris Tools for the data on the weather overlay? I was all giddy about getting my weather data put on my BI system, but I see that it only works with WU? Somehow, BI Tools knew my old Station ID on WU and filled it in, but I haven't sent data to WU in quite a few years. I might have dowloaded BI Tools years ago, when I had BI version 3 & version 4.

AMP

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just checking to see, does anyone use CumulusMX for their weather station and have been able to integrate it into Blue Iris Tools for the data on the weather overlay? I was all giddy about getting my weather data put on my BI system, but I see that it only works with WU? Somehow, BI Tools knew my old Station ID on WU and filled it in, but I haven't sent data to WU in quite a few years. I might have dowloaded BI Tools years ago, when I had BI version 3 & version 4.
Only Wunderground is supported out of the box, and I've never heard of anyone tweaking it to make it work with another provider, but you can create add-ons. So it theoretically should be possible if you are able to write scripts to fetch data from a different provider (if it falls in line with their terms of service of course). I was able to create an add-on with a python script to grab data from a website to post it on my overlay with Blue Iris Tools. It's a pretty specific use case, I grab Ohio River stage / speed / temp / turbidity data, but you can see it below (lower left in yellow). Add-ons documentation is here: Blue Iris Tools Add-ons. I don't know anything about CumulusMX, but looks like there is an API Cumulus MX Local API - Cumulus Wiki that might be able to be leveraged.

CincyVision.png

Last edited: