Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Reaction score
would I need to use a crossover cable if I go directly from the camera to the laptop?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
would I need to use a crossover cable if I go directly from the camera to the laptop?
No, never use crossover cables...they are no longer necessary..have you tested your injector to confirm its working?

hotwire

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey so couple of questions...
1) How do I disable uPnP discovery of this cam? I don't want it appearing in network places on my PCs. I've disabled uPnP in the gui but that relates to port forwarding.
2) Why is it constantly trying to talk to Amazon AWS when I've turned off all the p2p cloud, ezviz sort of stuff? I even have an in-house NTP server. I have a firewall rule to block any internet access and got bored and went and had a look at the logs and was surprised to see it trying... Like seriously WTF.
You could try this.
Disabling P2P/Easy4Ip and Watchnet/Lechange Pro
Let us know how it goes. I don't know if it will completely stop the camera from trying to phone home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
phew ... I just read thru 67 pages on this thread.

Everyone seems to be raving about this camera and now this has me intrigued. I am in the process of running cat5e cables to camera locations for a new install at my house. I thought I was all set to buy a Hikvision NVR with Hik bullet cams and domes but now everyone here has me rethinking this.

My only concerns is that these cams have zero warranty on them. If they go bad in 6 months or so I'm out several hundred dollars. The $170 price point is very nice though. Has anyone had ANY problems with these? I didn't see anyone post problems in this thread but maybe someone just hasn't said anything yet.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua is extremely reliable brand, reports of any dahua failure on these forums is extremely rare.. and when they do they are usually self inflicted, ie, not properly waterproofing the connections, or screwing up a firmware update.. but bricking from firmware update is much less frequent of an occurrence than Hikvision or anyone else.. they do try to prevent you from bricking it, but shit still can happen.

If you were to buy these cameras from a US Distributer offering a warranty, you'd be paying so much more you could proabibly import a spare camera from China to use as backup and still end up spending less money.

I'm fully confident we wont have another MiniHuisun or Longse fiasco with these cameras, Dahua makes cameras for FLIR/Lorex, Swann, AmCrest, GeoVision and many others.. and they dont just make cheap shit, a Dahua employee was just showing off a $90k Thermal/Visible Combo PTZ here earlier this week... Check out this post: SD6AL230F-HNI laser light performance

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just received my hdw5231r-z and am having trouble powering it up. I have connected it to a WS-POE-8-48v60w passive poe injector. I do not see any indication that the camera is powered up and there is no indication of activity on the switch.
It won't work with a passive PoE adapter. It requires real 802.3af PoE.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Everyone seems to be raving about this camera and now this has me intrigued. I am in the process of running cat5e cables to camera locations for a new install at my house. I thought I was all set to buy a Hikvision NVR with Hik bullet cams and domes but now everyone here has me rethinking this.

My only concerns is that these cams have zero warranty on them. If they go bad in 6 months or so I'm out several hundred dollars. The $170 price point is very nice though. Has anyone had ANY problems with these? I didn't see anyone post problems in this thread but maybe someone just hasn't said anything yet.
If ya can't take the heat, git outta the kitchen

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

If you buy from Andy, he stands behind his product...

The only issue I've had with 2 of the 5 I've bought, is the weather plug for ethernet was the wrong size and wouldn't fit (too small)... it's such an easy work around and if that's the only problem I'm still making out vs other options.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have that exact injector and it runs my starlight turret and ultra starlight bullet just fine, it's been running all of my Poe cams for a while.
I should have looked at the specific injector, this one works because it uses 48v unlike some of the passive injectors that use lower voltage. It's still a little less desirable than an 'active' poe injector or switch.

@krawaterway take it down and try powering it from a 12v supply to the barel jack instead of poe for testing.

Reaction score
Works with the 12v supply to the barrel jack. Any suggestions on a poe switch that can handle 5 of these bad boys?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
Works with the 12v supply to the barrel jack. Any suggestions on a poe switch that can handle 5 of these bad boys?
Cisco SF300 24PP with 24 ports POE and 2 gigabit upstream port managed switch with the ability to isolate the cameras to its own VLAN can be bought used on EBay for less than a new dumb 8 port POE switch...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have Cat 6 everywhere.
Cables that you terminated (crimp/punch down) yourself or premade?
flat pre-made cables can be made with smaller wires and be problematic
bench test it with a short pre-made ethernet cable and your poe injector don't connect 12v and PoE at the same time!
Cisco SF300 24PP with 24 ports POE and 2 gigabit upstream port managed switch with the ability to isolate the cameras to its own VLAN can be bought used on EBay for less than a new dumb 8 port POE switch...
There are good deals like this on ebay, but setting up managed switches is more involved and isn't for everyone. You also have to watch the power consumption on old gear it can be quite high, the particular model you mention has low power consumption.