Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just received delivery today of two of these cams with the below firmware from Andy. It may have been already mentioned here in a previous post, but I assumed these were a recent build with the latest firmware, but assumed wrong!

Software version: 2.460.0000.3.R, Build Date: 2017.01.05
Web Version: 3.2.1.413002
ONVIF Version: 2.42

Thanks, I'll update to this latest 2017.03.06 firmware

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The label on the box tells you when it was built, the Z5 with a March 2017 date I just got still had January Firmware.. Build date dont mean release date, was just put up there today.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The NTSC Version took to my PAL Z5 camera just fine and dandy, I'll update the rest of em.. YMMV
My Z5 should arrive tomorrow :) One day for the first 90% of the journey, 2 days for the last 10% because DHL has to hand it off to the post office one state away.

In the meantime my PAL IPC-HDW5231R-Z took the NTSC firmware just fine and now has 30 / 60 FPS options.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks, updated links in first post.. NTSC Firmware should make a few ppl happy.
Thanks for keeping the review updated. Suggest updating the recent update to the OP.

"Update March 2017*
Latest firmware improves quality; its PAL only at this point but i'd suggest upgrading if your willing to accept a lil risk."

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Z5 should arrive tomorrow :) One day for the first 90% of the journey, 2 days for the last 10% because DHL has to hand it off to the post office one state away.

In the meantime my PAL IPC-HDW5231R-Z took the NTSC firmware just fine and now has 30 / 60 FPS options.
Awesome, these Z5's really are freaking unicorns.. I mean common a Starlight 35mm Varifocal for $200, seriously what the fuck does anyone else have that rivals that thing? and they promising a Z12 with even more.. if they price that at about $225-230ish then well they got some smart fuckers at Dahua who really know security cameras and what has been so desperately needed..

All the form factors you could want, all the optics packages you could need, and the best low light performance in town, along with new more affordable PTZ's.. This is why Dahua is king on these forums now, Hik has some catching up to do.. they been getting there asses handed to em.

If anyone missed it I got my hands on the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping the review updated. Suggest updating the recent update to the OP.

"Update March 2017*
Latest firmware improves quality; its PAL only at this point but i'd suggest upgrading if your willing to accept a lil risk."
wait so there is another update for march but only the PAL one improves quality?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome, these Z5's really are freaking unicorns.. I mean common a Starlight 35mm Varifocal for $200, seriously what the fuck does anyone else have that rivals that thing? and they promising a Z12 with even more.. if they price that at about $225-230ish then well they got some smart fuckers at Dahua who really know security cameras and what has been so desperately needed..

All the form factors you could want, all the optics packages you could need, and the best low light performance in town, along with new more affordable PTZ's.. This is why Dahua is king on these forums now, Hik has some catching up to do.. they been getting there asses handed to em.

If anyone missed it I got my hands on the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5)

Soooooo are your your reviews really unbiased?!??! J/k :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not biased towards the product to help out Andy, I call ems how I sees ems..

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)
Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

I am Biased towards Dahua; but I've never denied that.. but I'm more than willing to jump ship and burn former goodwill so if a bunch of these start dying on you guys rest assured; I'll join in on the mob.. just ask me how I feel about Seagate or Microsoft and post Jobs Apple :p

In my OPINION Dahua International makes the best cameras, gives the best prices, and even seem to give a shit about security (LOL!) and making improvements and fixing issues.. if anyone else is doing better then they really need to be brought to the front lines here.

Now Chinese Domestic Dahua cameras; puuuke.. I wont be wasting my time or effort on those hacked pieces of garbage again.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Not biased towards the product to help out Andy, I call ems how I sees ems..

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)
Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

I am Biased towards Dahua; but I've never denied that.. but I'm more than willing to jump ship and burn former goodwill so if a bunch of these start dying on you guys rest assured; I'll join in on the mob.. just ask me how I feel about Seagate or Microsoft and post Jobs Apple :p

In my OPINION Dahua makes the best cameras, gives the best prices, and even seem to give a shit about security (LOL!) and making improvements and fixing issues.. if anyone else is doing better then they really need to be brought to the front lines here.
Yeah that would really suck but the dahua stuff seems pretty well built. What focal length will the Z12 come in?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was completely joking... I noticed you call it how you see it with the wedge review... I ended up getting one anyways and need to address my lighting headache.

@nayr

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5.3mm - 64mm, damn, I want one so bad, that should cover just about any install location you can think of lol.
Me too... I have two PTZs dedicated to LPR that I would like to replace with these. I don't think 35mm is enough zoom for my application but pretty sure 64mm would get me there. Andy getting any of these?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
5.3mm - 64mm, damn, I want one so bad, that should cover just about any install location you can think of lol.
Pretty much, should be a godsend for those rural folks who cant afford a half dozen PTZ's to keep an eye on gates/barns/long driveways/fuel storage/livestock/etc.. I'm thinking a high mounted autotracking PTZ getting preset triggers from IVS on a few of those watching various areas could allow you to adequately cover some pretty large properties without going insane on costs..

have you seen @bp2008, poor guy has to have 20 cameras to watch his driveway.. even thermal :p

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Me too... I have two PTZs dedicated to LPR that I would like to replace with these. I don't think 35mm is enough zoom for my application but pretty sure 64mm would get me there. Andy getting any of these?
you have 2 PTZs just for LPR? damn, that seems kinda wasteful lol how much were they?

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you have 2 PTZs just for LPR? damn, that seems kinda wasteful lol how much were they?
They are my community''s property, but I installed and manage them. We have two gates... one at each gate. They are huge and were expensive 4 years ago but the only thing I could find that had the zoom I needed. They still work well, but I would rather have a fixed camera with a lot of zoom and enough IR and repurpose the PTZs for other spots in the community.