Hikvision IPC Firmware 5.5.0 - released 24 Sept 2017

bcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Just in case this is useful to anyone:

Upgrading my 2042 and 2142 cams to 5.5.0 broke some functionality for me as well...
1) my custom integration with domoticz (uses nodeJS to read the alertstream and sends that to domoticz using mqqt)
2) event messages in hik connect (the "notify surveillance center" option)

I got domoticz integration back working by re-enabling hikvision-CGI and setting authentication to digest/basic
Configuration/Network/Advanced Settings/Integration Protocols/Enable Hikvision-CGI - set to digest/basic

In an attempt to fix the connection to hik connect, I also tried changing other settings back to their pre 5.5.0 (less secure) status
Configuration/Network/Advanced Settings/Integration Protocols/Enable ONVIF
Configuration/System/Security/Authentication/RTSP and WEB authentication to digest/basic
It did however not solve my messaging problem in hik connect... this is still dead in the water... but it may help others with their integration issues.

I had to reboot/disable H264+ to see the face detection event option and tweaked the video settings.
Image quality seems better then before.

Everything else seems to work.
Quick update to this:
Hik-Connect issue is also fixed after tweaking the Device settings in the Hik Connect App.
Device List / Edit Device / Settings -> Set alarm notification back to Enable and fixing device timezone information. This was off again after the upgrade.. :-(

So for my devices everything is back working fine.

OddMorning

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any way to downgrade to FW 5.4.0. Can anyone with an official Hikvision IPC contact the support to get information about how to downgrade?
I just found a way how to downgrade 5.5.0 to 5.4.x (it worked on DS-2CD2142FWD-I at least).
In short, use hikpack to change 5.4.x's version to 5.5.0 and then upload it via tftp.

Something like VirtualBox is needed in any case because hikpack works under Linux while TFTP works under Windows. Or probably use wine/win10 :blankstare:

Download the needed firmware file from the HikVision portal (there's also a file called List of IPC ... .xlsx with a "camera <=> firmware" matching table, it was 5.4.5 for R6 in my case).
Then use hikpack to change firmware version. Put downloaded digicap.dav next to hikpack file and enter these lines in terminal (r6 means platform):
Code:
./hikpack -t r6 -x digicap.dav -o 5.4.5_unpacked
./hikpack -t r6 -p digicap_fake_5.5.0.dav -V 0x05050000 -o 5.4.5_unpacked
And after that use TFTP to upload the "fake" firmware to the camera (because the Web UI still doesn't accept it). That link already contains instructions how to use tftp but there are better instructions by HikVision (for windows) that I found useful.

I know there are mostly pros on this forum but I still hope it can be useful for someone (e.g. for me myself :lol:). These instructions are not really detailed because I'm not sure if that's an universal way or I'm just lucky and that works just for my camera.

Although the file version is changed to 5.5.0, the Web UI says it's V5.4.x and allows to upload any 5.4.x through it. To test it, I uploaded montecrypto's 5.4.3 repack via web and it worked well.

UPD Dec 10, 2017: it seems that method works not just for me so I added the “fake” firmware to this message (R6_fake_5.5.0.zip — R6 5.4.5 with version changed to 5.5.0) for those who doesn't know how to mess with linux (or just doesn't want to).

UPD Mar 18, 2019: Updated HikVision portal link (thanks to ruszok) and added another fake firmware for future visitors (R6_fake_5.5.0_(5.3.8).zip — R6 5.3.8 with version changed to 5.5.0)

Attachments

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a really useful and informative post, many thanks for sharing it for the benefit of others.
It's especially useful due to the various problems seen with the 5.5.0 firmware, and Hikvision's arguably misguided and futile attempts to block downgrading.

jyun

n3wb
Reaction score
I had three DS-2CD2442FWD's (R6 Cube 4MP) and updated them from 5.4.x to 5.5.0 and it ruined one and made the other two unmanagable via WiFi. I spent hours trying all kinds of things around DHCP, Static IP, etc. Basically it really messed up the network settings. Yes, all the Hikvision tools can see them but once you move from ether net to Wifi, Good luck! Even factory reset doesnt work. Ethernet works fine to set them up but after that, they go down a lot. I did attempt a TFTP downgrade but that really messed them up. I was able to return all of them and get new ones but these all came to me new in the retail boxes with 5.5.0 fimware on them. I was able to also set these up via ethernet then once I moved to wifi, then they disconnect constanty and just disappear. I could REALLY use 5.5.2 or what ever to fix these.

I am curious if maybe it has something to do with my Netgear ORBI system. As of this week, v2.1.1.12 for ORBI came out with ethernet backhaul and other enhancements and fixes. I am holding back on that upgrade but may go ahead just to see if it resolves the issue.

On another possible fix, I did see where someone mentioned that the RTSP setting may help - System - Security - Authentication - and selecting RTSP Authentication 'digest/basic'

Not sure but I have exhausted everything.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@OddMorning Thank you! That works really fine with my TRENDnet TV-IP314PI (Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I).
Just want to confirm that the 2CD234WD is a R6 Camera (which it looks like from the firmware) - I am figuring I will give the file he has as a sample the flash since he did all the work on it.

jyun

n3wb
Reaction score
I had three DS-2CD2442FWD's (R6 Cube 4MP) and updated them from 5.4.x to 5.5.0 and it ruined one and made the other two unmanagable via WiFi. I spent hours trying all kinds of things around DHCP, Static IP, etc. Basically it really messed up the network settings. Yes, all the Hikvision tools can see them but once you move from ether net to Wifi, Good luck! Even factory reset doesnt work. Ethernet works fine to set them up but after that, they go down a lot. I did attempt a TFTP downgrade but that really messed them up. I was able to return all of them and get new ones but these all came to me new in the retail boxes with 5.5.0 fimware on them. I was able to also set these up via ethernet then once I moved to wifi, then they disconnect constanty and just disappear. I could REALLY use 5.5.2 or what ever to fix these.

I am curious if maybe it has something to do with my Netgear ORBI system. As of this week, v2.1.1.12 for ORBI came out with ethernet backhaul and other enhancements and fixes. I am holding back on that upgrade but may go ahead just to see if it resolves the issue.

On another possible fix, I did see where someone mentioned that the RTSP setting may help - System - Security - Authentication - and selecting RTSP Authentication 'digest/basic'

Not sure but I have exhausted everything.
UPDATE: I had all the cameras replaced and they came with 5.5.0 already on them. I got all three set up via ethernet and all was good until they rebooted into WiFi. Same issue with IP address, and not being able to connect or randomely disconnecting every few mintes. I decided to update the Netgear ORBI Router and Satellites with the 2.1.1.12 firmware and it RESOLVED the issue. All camera are now working and I have had zero connection loss. It leads me to believe that something either in the camera or the routers may get hung up. If you have a Netgear router, you may want to check for a firmware update or resetting it may help.

I know it could be also the firmware, but I am all good now -

jost_d

n3wb
Reaction score
alarm push notification do not work with FW 5.5.0 and iVMS-4500 - so watch out if you are using push notification for alarms (Notify Surveillance Center) hold on to FW 5.4.5 where this works fine
They do actually work. The problem is when the iVMS-4500 client tries to register with the push server of the camera. Unfortunately, this happens through the camera's http port and iVMS doesn't appear to be capable of the digest authentication the new firmware defaults to. The workaround is to switch the http authentication to digest/basic (menu System/Security/Authentication) before turning on the Alarm push notification for that camera in iVMS-4500. After the phone is registered, one probably can switch the authentication back to digest only.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just found a way how to downgrade 5.5.0 to 5.4.x (it worked on DS-2CD2142FWD-I at least).
In short, use hikpack to change 5.4.x's version to 5.5.0 and then upload it via tftp.
Again - I just want to confirm that my camera - DS-2CD2342WD-I is a compatible with this update - again no warranties, etc - Just want to confirm it 'should' work.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

So I gave it a try but am getting this error:

Note: The upgrading process will be 1 to 10 minutes, please don't disconnect power to the device during the process. The device reboots automatically after upgrading.

Is this due to my firmware already being at 5.5?

If so - how would I change the firmware version to say 5.51?

Thanks,
Rich

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Note: The upgrading process will be 1 to 10 minutes, please don't disconnect power to the device during the process. The device reboots automatically after upgrading.
That’s not an error,it telling you what is going to do
If your camera has 5.5.0 and if that’s the latest firmware for hikvision you can’t go up to 5.5.1
Messing around with firmware can lead you into a fun world of learning how to unbrick a camera
Once you know how to do it it’s ok
But if you don’t want to learn how to unbrick a camera I would leave it alone

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So I gave it a try but am getting this error:
That's not an error - it's just letting you know what to expect.
What was the result of doing the update?

*edit* Ooops - we butted heads there.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That’s not an error,it telling you what is going to do
If your camera has 5.5.0 and if that’s the latest firmware for hikvision you can’t go up to 5.5.1
Messing around with firmware can lead you into a fun world of learning how to unbrick a camera
Once you know how to do it it’s ok
But if you don’t want to learn how to unbrick a camera I would leave it alone
I thought that the firmware on post #43 was for a R6 camera to flash 5.45 on a 5.5 firmware camera?

My camera does have 5.5 & its causing onvif issues (older firmware versions dont cause this problem with my DVR software).

That's not an error - it's just letting you know what to expect.
What was the result of doing the update?

*edit* Ooops - we butted heads there.
It didnt end up doing anything but the camera still works fine. I did try to use the TFTP program & I followed instructions here; www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/File/201433116851896.pdf but that didnt work. Nothing really happened at all & I set my PC to 192.0.0.128 & the camera to 192.0.0.64 - the digicap.dav file on root of C: - didnt seem to be any way to do anything beyond start the software.

Hopefully not a full day of reading all of your posts;) but that’s how you learn how to fix it
I would certainly prefer not to brick & learn how to unbrick but I would love to roll the firmware back from 5.5 to 5.45. I am just not sure how to do it.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi - sorry - I miswrote that - it is in the same folder but nothing happens.

C:\Tftp is in the root, the digicap.dav file was in the same folder. The camera was pingable at the 192.0.0.64 ip from the 'server' at 192.0.0.128

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the Windows firewall, advanced settings, inbound 'allow' rules for 'tftpserve.exe'. By default it will block the probes from the camera.
Also - both camera and PC should be on a wired connection, not WiFi, and not directly connected.