Hikvision IPC Firmware 5.5.0 - released 24 Sept 2017

Hnks

n3wb
Reaction score
I just found a way how to downgrade 5.5.0 to 5.4.x (it worked on DS-2CD2142FWD-I at least).
In short, use hikpack to change 5.4.x's version to 5.5.0 and then upload it via tftp.
Just wanted to thank you and let anyone else know this procedure also worked for 3 of my DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS Cameras that I had upgraded to 5.5.0. I used hikvision-tftpd/hikvision_tftpd.py at master · scottlamb/hikvision-tftpd · GitHub for the actual restore from OS X. The only think was that I had to cut power to them once more after downgrade and then they came back with the default 192.168.1.64 address.

Wolle2018

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
alarm push notification do not work with FW 5.5.0 and iVMS-4500 - so watch out if you are using push notification for alarms (Notify Surveillance Center) hold on to FW 5.4.5 where this works fine
I saw your message too late and had already upgraded DS-2CD2785FWD-ISZ from 5.4.6 to 5.5.3 . I detected another bug: when the alarm inport port changes its status (e.g. from close to open) one gets 20 emails (!) for each (!) alarm event. Is there any way to rollback to 5.4.6 or has HIKVISION meanwhile fixed the aforesaid two severe bugs?

bravan

n3wb
Reaction score
I just found a way how to downgrade 5.5.0 to 5.4.x (it worked on DS-2CD2142FWD-I at least).
In short, use hikpack to change 5.4.x's version to 5.5.0 and then upload it via tftp.

Something like VirtualBox is needed in any case because hikpack works under Linux while TFTP works under Windows. Or probably use wine/win10 :blankstare:

Download the needed firmware file from the HikVision portal (there's also a file called List of IPC ... .xlsx with a "camera <=> firmware" matching table, it was 5.4.5 for R6 in my case).
Then use hikpack to change firmware version. Put downloaded digicap.dav next to hikpack file and enter these lines in terminal (r6 means platform):
Code:
./hikpack -t r6 -x digicap.dav -o 5.4.5_unpacked
./hikpack -t r6 -p digicap_fake_5.5.0.dav -V 0x05050000 -o 5.4.5_unpacked
And after that use TFTP to upload the "fake" firmware to the camera (because the Web UI still doesn't accept it). That link already contains instructions how to use tftp but there are better instructions by HikVision (for windows) that I found useful.

I know there are mostly pros on this forum but I still hope it can be useful for someone (e.g. for me myself :lol:). These instructions are not really detailed because I'm not sure if that's an universal way or I'm just lucky and that works just for my camera.

Although the file version is changed to 5.5.0, the Web UI says it's V5.4.x and allows to upload any 5.4.x through it. To test it, I uploaded montecrypto's 5.4.3 repack via web and it worked well.

UPD: it seems this method works not just for me so I added the “fake” firmware to this message (R6 5.4.5 with changed version to 5.5.0) for those who doesn't know how to mess with linux (or just doesn't want to).
Many Thanks. I update my new camera DS-2CD2F42FWD-IWS (R6) with 5.50 firmware and I had trouble with saving preset (like this thread) Preset views problem on DS-2CD2F42FWD (PT cam)

I use your method to rollback to 5.4.5 and it works now. Using your fake firmware save me some time :)

DHO

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems to

Something like VirtualBox is needed in any case because hikpack works under Linux while TFTP works under Windows. Or probably use wine/win10 :blankstare:

Download the needed firmware file from the HikVision portal (there's also a file called List of IPC ... .xlsx with a "camera <=> firmware" matching table, it was 5.4.5 for R6 in my case).
Then use hikpack to change firmware version. Put downloaded digicap.dav next to hikpack file and enter these lines in terminal (r6 means platform):
Code:
./hikpack -t r6 -x digicap.dav -o 5.4.5_unpacked
./hikpack -t r6 -p digicap_fake_5.5.0.dav -V 0x05050000 -o 5.4.5_unpacked
And after that use TFTP to upload the "fake" firmware to the camera (because the Web UI still doesn't accept it). That link already contains instructions how to use tftp but there are better instructions by HikVision (for windows) that I found useful.

I know there are mostly pros on this forum but I still hope it can be useful for someone (e.g. for me myself :lol:). These instructions are not really detailed because I'm not sure if that's an universal way or I'm just lucky and that works just for my camera.

Although the file version is changed to 5.5.0, the Web UI says it's V5.4.x and allows to upload any 5.4.x through it. To test it, I uploaded montecrypto's 5.4.3 repack via web and it worked well.

UPD: it seems this method works not just for me so I added the “fake” firmware to this message (R6 5.4.5 with changed version to 5.5.0) for those who doesn't know how to mess with linux (or just doesn't want to).

This works on DS-2CD2142FWD-IS. As far as I can tell full functionality and everything that broke in 5.5.0 is now working.

I wasted many many hours trying to get this working including tinkering wit.

I wish I knew what montecrypto did so I could replicate it. But at least it's working

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone having issues with the 2142 not being able to maintain an ip through DHCP reservation after an upgrade to 5.5.0.?

My cameras are under warranty and I am debating returning them to Hik but looks like they are just going to replace with a camera with version 5.5.0 anyways?

DHO

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone having issues with the 2142 not being able to maintain an ip through DHCP reservation after an upgrade to 5.5.0.?

My cameras are under warranty and I am debating returning them to Hik but looks like they are just going to replace with a camera with version 5.5.0 anyways?
I have multiple DS-2CD2142FWD-IS and after hours tinkering with 5.5.0 my only conclusion is it does not work on this firmware.

Stick with any 5.4.X. You have to jump through a couple hoops to downgrade, but that firmware is stable and the cameras work well.

Hikivision support is abysmal and a waste of your time. They cannot help you even they wanted to, and they absolutely do not want to help.

And yes they ship with newest firmware, unless you go through a 3rd party vendor, but Hiki refuses to honor warranties from 3rd party vendors. So a warranty replacement is very unlikely to help.

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
And yes they ship with newest firmware, unless you go through a 3rd party vendor, but Hiki refuses to honor warranties from 3rd party vendors. So a warranty replacement is very unlikely to help.
So, I am going through a third party vendor but they said they are shipping the camera back to Hikvision for repair or replacement.

DHO

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I am going through a third party vendor but they said they are shipping the camera back to Hikvision for repair or replacement.
On the serial # sticker on the box, is the firmware version. You can see if they have 5.4.X preloaded and will replace.
Or just follow the steps above to downgrade.

artisan

n3wb
Reaction score
I spoke with Hikvision tier 2 regarding unrelated issues and mentioned I was using 5.5. Though unrelated to my problems he told me if some "strange" things start happening consider the firmware as there have been complaints. Though it was "released" my 7616ni-I2 says 4.1.10 build 171107 is most recent update but I had manually applied this update.

Oddly the system seems to have downgraded back to 4.1. I have not searched for that issue yet...

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

No, I haven't experienced that. What do you mean when you say "not being able to maintain an IP"? Is it changing to a random IP or resetting to a specific IP?

Why not just set the IP static AND have the reservation in your router?

edgd

n3wb
Reaction score
No, I haven't experienced that. What do you mean when you say "not being able to maintain an IP"? Is it changing to a random IP or resetting to a specific IP?

Why not just set the IP static AND have the reservation in your router?
Hi i ve just flashed mine, english upgradable version, and i have the same problem. I had to use sadptool to fix ip. The cam keeps on switching given ip, 0.0.0.0 and 169.x.x.x default private ip. When the ip fixed, i can log into the cam.

Sent with Tapatalk

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If your cameras are accessible from the internet I would suspect someone is resetting your camera's parameters, rather than the camera randomly switching IPs. This also assumes your cabling is not at fault, which would cause your camera to constantly lose a connection and then re-lease an IP, which, if the cable is bad, may not work and thus you might bounce between a 0.0.0.0 and 169 address.

edgd

n3wb
Reaction score
The version was 5.4.5, is now 5.5.5.build180111.
I read that downgrade is now very difficult if not impossible.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A5000 en utilisant Tapatalk

HikGr

n3wb
Reaction score
Great, welcome to the fartvision club i am one year now with useless cameras...

HikGr

n3wb
Reaction score
Wait there is a new 5.5.5 or was that a typo ?

HikGr

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh god a firmware update after a year... does it fix anything? Or does it break more things?

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@HikGr In almost all cases the firmwares resolves problems. I would highly suggest upgrading it if you're currently having issues.

HikGr

n3wb
Reaction score
After what happend from the update from 5.4.0 to 5.5.0 im very reluctant to upgrade ever again these garbage cams.
I hope someone from the forum can confirm that the previous shitstorm of bugs that fartvision created are fixed...