How to view Dahua cameras without browser plugins

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am holding off on updating until the first of the New Year. I want to be sure Monterey has all of the major bugs eliminated before I take the plunge. That does look promising, though. Right now, I am using Chrome to view the camera web page.

Day to day I use Synology Surveillance Station to monitor the camera, but the web interface on the camera is pretty promiscuous and will work on most browsers. ha

I haven't played with creating rules too much yet, but I should add a few more. I figured I could click away and design a zone which didn't include going through bushes and trees so I wouldn't get false alarms with winds blowing foliage but it seems I can only define a shape with 4 sides. I didn't realize that was a 4-gon conclusion :lmao:

Or is because I am not using the old IE browser for my definitions. I have yet to try any of this on the old iMAC which has a Parallels Windows partition.

And unfortunately, I should update, that after my initial easy breezy success at defining that intrusion rule above, my next attempt required the repeated mouse clicks (Right) to release the green line, before I could save it. To me it's an incredibly small price to pay imho, but still.

EDIT: It's like my camera is haunted. I was able to use the newest Safari to define a new intrusion rule, and this time around I was allowed approx 20 sides to my defined area which worked great. Once it reaches that magic number of segments allowed it just joins up with the initial point I began at. It took a few attempts to nail it, but I'll test it tonight to see how it does. I'm sure there will be a few night visitors.

Here is how it looks at this point:

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 00.53.10.png

Last edited:

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I broke down and purchased Parallels 17 this morning for this Macbook Pro 16 I'm always on, explicitly so I could install windows and get on with configuring my Color4K-X camera. Windows, as you guys know, no longer requires a license so nowadays Parallels just goes ahead and installs Windows 10 at the same time it's installing itself. Easy peasy.

*Bit of a Black Friday sale on the Parallels site if anyone's interested. Parallels: Mac & Windows Virtualization, Remote Application Server, Mac Management Solutions

Well the first thing I noticed is that a pile of buttons not visible on any of the browsers in the MacOS I tried have now appeared, and are working fine. Next, it is MUCH easier (see above) to define IVS rules. The only one that I cannot yet find a painless means to release (the line) are tripwires. But all the rest work find, and as soon as I closed the loop, so to speak, on an area it instantly concluded that my defined area was done, and the arrows would appear etc. So I defined about half a dozen IVS rules this afternoon including a few intrusion (various shapes), loitering, and several others just to try them out.

And in another thread I was looking for a means to ID just what triggered a particular recording, and in my Synology end of things couldn't find anything. But when I looked in the Dahua web interface I saw "Playback", and that works like a charm. I can choose from a drop down menu (in case someone reading hasn't tried this), and can choose "intrusion", "loitering", "motion" or whatever from a broad list and then the recordings seem narrowed to those triggered under that rule I've chosen.

There was a bit of work, but the Windows 10 Edge browser I was using can be forced to display a webpage in IE. Surf to this in the Edge browser - edge:/settings/defaultBrowser

Once on that page chose 'Allow sites to reload in Internet Explorer Mode'. Then reload the Dahua web interface, and you're good.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 12.37.32.png

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe I should try with a mouse. I'd read what you also wrote in an article a day ago, but on this Mac laptop right clicking the touch pad does nothing. You move, and the line follow the pointer. I'll dig up my mac mouse, and try it. That's likely the ticket. Thanks.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried some various keys and one-button/key combinations quickly to see if I could find something that would avoid that but nothing that I came up with worked. Not sure why the touchpad wouldn't work in the same way but I'm not a Mac guy to know.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just decided to add some tripwire rules to tonight's setup - and inadvertently figured it out. Anyone on a mac, try this - (yes, after all that windows jazz I'm too lazy to keep windows open in Parallels ha)

• Left click to begin line
  • Left click to place the next node
  • TWO finger LEFT click to conclude !

It's that simple. I've now replicated that method several times and it's instant, painless and a thing of beauty.

*Doubt it matters, but my mac is a Macbook Pro 16 running Monterey and I am configuring these rules using Chrome Version 96.0.4664.55 (Official Build) (x86_64)

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Right mouse button equivalent on an apple product:
either two-finger click the trackpad​
OR​
hold the control key and click (one finger)​

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Right mouse button equivalent on an apple product:
either two-finger click the trackpad​
OR​
hold the control key and click (one finger)​

On my Mac, the CRTL one finger click doesn't work to close the loop in IVS rule making. Not in Chrome anyhow. But this 2 finger click works brilliantly.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Synology has a Surveillance Station APP for Macs - downloads here . By the time you read this, this may not be the newest version, so backtrack, and look for the latest on the page prior.

JGr!

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm using linux and my NVR (5216-4ks2) and IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE works well with linux and firefox without plugins. I have a lot's of Hikvision cameras, and those I have to configure with windows.

JGr!

n3wb
Reaction score
Does new hikvision cameras work under linux? All my hikvisions are 2018 or older.

1dodosn

n3wb
Reaction score
Where is everyone getting IE 10 to connect to their cameras? I tried the IE settings in Edge but it is only working on my dome cameras, not my PTZs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where is everyone getting IE 10 to connect to their cameras? I tried the IE settings in Edge but it is only working on my dome cameras, not my PTZs.
Yeah, the PTZs more than any need actual IE, especially for track time on PTZs.

I have an old laptop that is not connected to the internet that has Explorer on it.

But IE is still baked into Windows 10 if you are running Win10 - simply type in the search bar Explorer and it will come up. It will probably try everyway possible to force you to Edge, you just have to be persistent.

Hans007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im using Chrome (on a windows 10) and seem to have problem at the login page and dont know if im the only one or if its designed like that.
i cant seem to copy/past or auto fill in the password. do you also have this issue?