PIR wiring

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys

I attached a picture of my rear alarm panel on back of NVR, it is a 7600 series. It was drawn in paint lol anyways could someone post a diagram of how to hook up 4 PIR sensors to this panel? I don't want to blow the NVR or damage anything since not much of the manual states much info besides 12V 1A being the max, max combined or max per port? meh not sure if worth the hassle of integrating into my NVR.

I know how to hook up relays, diodes, resistors, power sources, solder header pins but i just like a diagram.

EDIT: SOLVED. OPEN THE NVR AND SEE IF THE ALARM CABLE IS PLUGGED IN PROPERLY. IMAGES IN THREAD SHOULD HELP. THANKS TANGENT AND DGWASW FOR SOLVING THIS ISSUE.

Attachments

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your motion detectors need a power connection from an external power supply ( + & -). Most run on 12v.

Motion detectors often have 3 terminals in addition to power. NO, NC, and Com. These terminals are switched by a relay when there's motion. When there's motion there's no connection between NC (normally closed) and com. When there's motion there is a connection between NO (normally open) and com. Choose what ever you want just set the NVR accordingly, NC is used most often as it alerts you to wiring faults. So, you could connect the NC terminal to "1" on the NVR and the com terminal to the "G" terminal closest to the inputs. All of the com terminals will need to be connected to one of those two G terminals, don't hook them to the G terminal by the output.

You may have addition terminals for thing like a tamper switch, you can ignore these.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that is confusing me more. most pir circuits have 3 terminals. i might need a diagram in mspaint or something. i have wired up relays yet i am puzzled by your post. and yes i will not use the alarm output ground for input ground lol already knew that. but please assist more, thanks!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most motion detectors have two things you need to be concerned about:
A power connection, typically 12vdc. NVR does not supply this.
Switched outputs to trigger an alarm. In a typical alarm system loops can be normally closed or normally open. They exit their normal state upon motion. Basically on the motion detector it's like a single 3-way light switch, toggling the connection from com between NO and NC.

Whatever motion detector you're looking at should have a manual with a generic diagram.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so i supply power to the pir and not NVR. hmmmm so the ground of the pir goes to the rear panel or the power source? apparently the pir works by detecting a sink in voltage on ground thats why im questioning it. 12+ in to red wire on pir, ground on pir goes to rear panel, other wire is the signal wire? lol i feel really dumb now. ahhhh

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so i supply power to the pir and not NVR. hmmmm so the ground of the pir goes to the rear panel or the power source? apparently the pir works by detecting a sink in voltage on ground thats why im questioning it. 12+ in to red wire on pir, ground on pir goes to rear panel, other wire is the signal wire? lol i feel really dumb now. ahhhh
Most motion detectors have mechanical relays and the signal output com and nc/no has no connection to the power supplied to the detector.

There are different ways the inputs on the NVR could be designed. I don't own a Hik NVR and I don't remember exactly what type of inputs they provide. I tried to look at the manual and saw no reference to the specs you mentioned regarding input. I would take a multimeter and see if there's any dc voltage between IN 1 and G when it's set as a normally closed loop. I'd be curious to know the result but it wouldn't really change the advice on hooking it up. I'm sure @alastairstevenson could chime in on what kind of inputs the NVR has... I need to get more sleep lol.

No matter what you will need to supply the PIR with power from an external source and hook either nc or no and com to the nvr..

What PIR are you using?

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
plenty of info to read. i should buy a sensor though cause im a hands-on learner with certain topics. ill see what i can come up with. thanks guys!!! ill try to post an update soon. promise!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
plenty of info to read. i should buy a sensor though cause im a hands-on learner with certain topics. ill see what i can come up with. thanks guys!!! ill try to post an update soon. promise!
Describe, sketch, or upload a satellite view / photos of the areas you want to cover for advice on motion sensors. Choose the right sensor for each location.

In cases where you're dealing with sufficiently long cables for the sensors you may need to add some extra hardware to do things a little differently.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i failed so hard lol i bought this S5317 Economy PIR Detector with 20kg Pet Immunity - Altronics

powered it with 12v DC and it worked but it doesn't have the power to turn a relay on and needs some extra parts so on its own its useless. the voltage was like 3mv at the alarm output contacts when triggered and the amps was in the nano range. my DMM does nano and mA so i knew what power it was able to dish out.

I just want a standalone PIR sensor like that one in the link but one that can send approx 300mA OR at-least i can use a logic level relay which only needs 50 mA.

i thought these sensors had feature to turn relays on but i guess not. i might just pay for a kit that has all the parts in 1 package, i dont like non-DIY but looks like i might have to since this sensor stuff is annoying me atm.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ill keep it short. Has to be like the one in the link, them square ones. It also needs to work with my Hik NVR 7600 and i also want a sensor that can turn on a normal relay, the relays i have need around 300mA though... i could use logic level relay which is 50 mA also.

Just need help with the hardware not the planning. and if i have to buy 2 different pir sensors, 1 for the nvr and 1 for the other stuff i will.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i failed so hard lol i bought this S5317 Economy PIR Detector with 20kg Pet Immunity - Altronics

powered it with 12v DC and it worked but it doesn't have the power to turn a relay on and needs some extra parts so on its own its useless. the voltage was like 3mv at the alarm output contacts when triggered and the amps was in the nano range. my DMM does nano and mA so i knew what power it was able to dish out.

I just want a standalone PIR sensor like that one in the link but one that can send approx 300mA OR at-least i can use a logic level relay which only needs 50 mA.

i thought these sensors had feature to turn relays on but i guess not. i might just pay for a kit that has all the parts in 1 package, i dont like non-DIY but looks like i might have to since this sensor stuff is annoying me atm.
Ill keep it short. Has to be like the one in the link, them square ones. It also needs to work with my Hik NVR 7600 and i also want a sensor that can turn on a normal relay, the relays i have need around 300mA though... i could use logic level relay which is 50 mA also.

Just need help with the hardware not the planning. and if i have to buy 2 different pir sensors, 1 for the nvr and 1 for the other stuff i will.
I don't see why there would be any issue with the motion detector you linked and your NVR. The Motion detector most likely has a relay in it that functions like a mechanical switch as I described. The specs for that PIR say the output terminals can handle up to 30V and 200ma, in a typical alarm system the alarm panel would also supply 12V to this loop and the current would be quite a bit less than 200ma. Dahua NVRs have 1.8V or 1.2V between the inputs and ground iirc, which is the voltage level used by the processor and I don't think they're very robust. This is a much lower voltage and wouldn't be that suitable for long runs.

What else are you trying to hook to this, I'm a bit confused by some of your other comments?

Why don't you simplify this a bit, connect a mechanical switch to In 1 and G set up the NVR and toggle the switch see if it recognizes it. You could measure the voltage and current in this setup.

Here are a couple PIR manuals as examples:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/400/
http://static.interlogix.com/library/6540 6550 6540U 6550U.pdf
Voltage and current specs on the alarm loop are the max it can handle without damage happening.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also where are you trying to use this motion detector, indoors or outdoors?

Motion detectors designed for outdoor use are more reliable outdoors. If you're trying to put a motion detector far from the NVR, it may be easier to run it through a regular alarm panel or do something involving some relays so the bulk of your cabling is operating at a higher voltage eg. 12v.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Outdoors. I ordered another PIR that states its standalone and CAN output sirens/lights/aux at 3amps 12v so it has the relay built in and was only $30 plus free shipping. I know im confusing you but just please wait until i get this other sensor. Ill bridge IN1 and G if i get time. just very busy this week. will update in 4 days.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Outdoors. I ordered another PIR that states its standalone and CAN output sirens/lights/aux at 3amps 12v so it has the relay built in and was only $30 plus free shipping. I know im confusing you but just please wait until i get this other sensor. Ill bridge IN1 and G if i get time. just very busy this week. will update in 4 days.
You can set the alarm outputs on the nvr to turn on when the inputs are in alarm. I believe your NVR has a relay for its outputs.

Why don't you just describe the whole system you're imagining preferably with a sketch or schematic of some kind.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It would be nice if the OP stated what he wanted to accomplish. As far as I know, there are alarm inputs and alarm outputs on most NVRs. The alarm inputs are generally tied one to one with the NVR channels. If you connect a PIR to the input, you're basically overriding the PIR in the camera. PIRs are sold universal fit. The have lugs for both Normally Open and Normally Closed. The lug you use is determined by the device you connect to. In this case, the NVR. You don't use both. The device is waiting for the PIR to close the contact to trigger an event.

The alarm outputs are not tied to channels but you choose what channel you want. In this scenario, the trigger from the channel (either the camera or external PIR) closes the contact between the alarm output lugs. Alarm outputs are used for buzzers and the like or connecting to external alarm panels.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Guys.... There is barely any document on the alarm in/out and PIR documentation with the NVR so im skeptical on putting wires in the back and maybe blowing something. The original plan was to use 2 or 3 PIR sensors and use them on the side of my house and maybe 1 in the front yard but its making me mad that there is no documents on how to do this so forget the sensors! i have a major problem if not fixed i will re-sell these cameras + NVR on eBay.

I have set up day-night image settings and every day it keeps resetting to "auto" as shown in picture. WHY???? when in auto the picture is disgusting and looks like a 0.3mp grainy pile of crap. When i put it to "Schedule" and it uses my specific settings it looks beautiful and clear so as you see, if this keeps happening this setup is not going to work at all. Please why does it auto reset every day.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guys.... There is barely any document on the alarm in/out and PIR documentation with the NVR so im skeptical on putting wires in the back and maybe blowing something. The original plan was to use 2 or 3 PIR sensors and use them on the side of my house and maybe 1 in the front yard but its making me mad that there is no documents on how to do this so forget the sensors! i have a major problem if not fixed i will re-sell these cameras + NVR on eBay.

I have set up day-night image settings and every day it keeps resetting to "auto" as shown in picture. WHY???? when in auto the picture is disgusting and looks like a 0.3mp grainy pile of crap. When i put it to "Schedule" and it uses my specific settings it looks beautiful and clear so as you see, if this keeps happening this setup is not going to work at all. Please why does it auto reset every day.
The NVR is changing / overriding the settings on the camera itself.

PEBKAC

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems to be holding that specific setting now. lets see how long this time. thinking its a 1 off. Haven't got the sensor its coming from perth so no point updating until another 3 days. ill report back. p.s its been 1 day and no grainy default image settings yet