First time setting up security system

Reaction score
Hello, I am replacing my arlo cameras and this is my first time setting up a proper secuirty system and I wanted to make sure I do it right.

I currently have 10 alro cameras and am going to be replacing all of them with this camera from amcrest and I am planning on adding another 2-4 of the same camera at a later time.
Currently I will have them running off of the NVR provided by Amcrest until I build the computer for storage. I put together a part list here.

I want to make sure that the part list I linked would be enough for running blue iris with the 10-14 cameras.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I am replacing my arlo cameras and this is my first time setting up a proper secuirty system and I wanted to make sure I do it right.

I currently have 10 alro cameras and am going to be replacing all of them with this camera from amcrest and I am planning on adding another 2-4 of the same camera at a later time.
Currently I will have them running off of the NVR provided by Amcrest until I build the computer for storage. I put together a part list here.

I want to make sure that the part list I linked would be enough for running blue iris with the 10-14 cameras.
Welcome @GenericGames

Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera, 3840x2160, 164ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording (128GB), Black (IP8M-T2499EB-28MM)
CMOS 1/2.5” 8MP

I recommend picking a camera with a 1/1.8" sensor for your next purchase.

Without additional info, I believe you are over spending on the PC ( $2600+ ) and getting lesser cameras than you should.

Recommend waiting before jumping on the PC - perhaps get a used business class PC to play with first...

1592162659896.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Welcome @GenericGames

Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera, 3840x2160, 164ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording (128GB), Black (IP8M-T2499EB-28MM)
CMOS 1/2.5” 8MP

Without additional info, I believe you are over spending on the PC ( $2600+ ) and getting lesser cameras than you should.

Recommend waiting before jumping on the PC - perhaps get a used business class PC to play with first...
I have no idea what a 1/1.8'' sensor is to be honest.

The reason that I picked that CPU/Build would be because This guide at the end says "Add up the total megapixels per second (MP/s) you intend to run. Example: For two 8MP cameras each at 15 FPS you have 2 (cameras) * 8 (MP) * 15 (FPS) = 240 MP/s. " so I did 10*8*15=1200

Reaction score
Welcome @GenericGames

CMOS 1/2.5” 8MP

Somewhat understand what the 1/1.8'' sensor is now.

I'd rather just build a new pc and get everything up and running ASAP since when looking I didn't see any decent used PC's in my area.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhat understand what the 1/1.8'' sensor is now.

I'd rather just build a new pc and get everything up and running ASAP since when looking I didn't see any decent used PC's in my area.
Hi @GenericGames

Note:
Remember you're not building a computer gaming rig... so do take some time to see what others have done, and if you have an older PC around - play with that in the meanwhile before you spend that much money on a new pc.

Reaction score
Hi @GenericGames

Note:
Remember you're not building a computer gaming rig... so do take some time to see what others have done, and if you have an older PC around - play with that in the meanwhile before you spend that much money on a new pc.
I do have this second computer that I could use first before building the new one. Second build 2.0

So with the "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris" would you not recommend the bit at the bottom about what cpu to use?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do have this second computer that I could use first before building the new one. Second build 2.0

So with the "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris" would you not recommend the bit at the bottom about what cpu to use?
HI @GenericGames

A number of members are still using the i7-4xxx cpu for their Blue Iris machine - so I think that makes a good learning machine for now. You can get something better later once you understand the finer details better.

1592166184356.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
IF you had that much through put, then yes get the CPU needed. But I think your initial premise is flawed. The camera that you picked is an 8MP on a 1/2.5" sensor and is a 2.8mm fixed lens. So unless you have a ton of artificial light at night and the subject is very close to the camera, you will never get a good night shot of a face that one could use to ID someone. You would be better off going with one of the Dahua T5442T-AS or the bullet version that is varifocal. The varifocal turret of that cam will be released soon also.

As it states in the Cliff Notes, do not chase MP. You are not making a movie. You are getting security footage. An 8MP camera is not really going to give you anything above the 4MP cameras that are great at low-light now. And you will have half the through put.

You state you are replacing 10 Arlo cams and will add 2-4 more later. That's 12-14 cams. I really doubt that one single model is the right fit for each of 12-14 locations. I currently have 19 cams spread out over 10 different Dahua models. Each location has a defined job to do and I picked the cam that best fit the job. Don't go buying all at once. Most folks here will tell you to get one, typically a varifocal cam, and use a test rig to check the FOV and decide on a fixed lens value if you decide not to go with a varifocal.

A 2.8mm lens is great for a wide angle overview, but is not going to give you a good face shot unless the perp is close. Here is a comparison of a 2.8mm (left) versus a 6mm (right) lens. This is taken at night and I am walking. Both have good images, but the 2.8mm is too far away to give a decent face shot. The 6mm is perfect for this purpose. These are the same cams- Dahua T5442T-AS, just in different lenses.

5442 2-8 948.jpg5442 6mm 948.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
READ,STUDY,PLAN before spending money.

For a PC get a used business computer from EBAY. The size of the computer is based upon the MP/SEC
See

-----------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
17) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
18) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
I
PC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A
If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Before asking a question search the forum first...
The best way to search the forum is to use Google
In the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaction score
Also...FWIW, I built rather than buy, but I have built many over the years as my wife is a gamer and I love giving her a great machine. Most folks here would say I overspent, and they are probably right. But I approached this as a hobby. So I am running those cams (mostly 2MP but a few 4MP) on an i7-8700 with 32GB, an EVGA GPU, and three 10 TB WD Purple drives. Trough put is 615MP/s and my CPU is at 15% and I have yet to take advantage of the new BI sub-stream feature.

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure if you already own the "Second Build" hardware, but if you dont, you can get most of that cheaply in a second hand SFF build like a Dell Optiplex. Far cheaper than a separate part build of the same specs.

Reaction score
Not sure if you already own the "Second Build" hardware, but if you dont, you can get most of that cheaply in a second hand SFF build like a Dell Optiplex. Far cheaper than a separate part build of the same specs.
Yeah I already have that computer. It's the spare parts from my old gaming pc.

Reaction score
Good build then. Similar to what many people run here. You might not need the video card if your CPU supports Quicksync.
I was just going to use the 980ti to output to a 4k monitor when I end up getting one to view the footage from that pc.

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My opinion after reading all the above...
  • Your proposed build is specced above what is needed—unless you plan on running 8mp for all 10-14 cameras, in which case you should probably go for 32 GB RAM too. If you're running a mix of 2-4mp cameras, you do not need an octa-core i9. Anything i7-8700 or above should be plenty and leave room for future additions. A great site to help visualize/rank various CPU options can be found here (just hit [Ctrl] + [F] and key in your CPU to find it on the table).
  • I believe the computer you already have would be a great place to start. It's a bit under-powered for 14 cameras (especially if they're 4mp), but it will get you started and you'll know when you need something more powerful. Blue Iris is easy to activate and deactivate and transfer to another PC. BlueIris has also recently introduced a new feature called SubStreaming, which runs things like motion detection on the lower resolution substream from the camera, greatly reducing the CPU and memory load. This could allow your existing PC to handle all the cameras with ease.
  • It is almost always cheaper to buy a PC than to build one, due to the quantity purchasing power of companies like HP, Dell, PowerSpec, etc. The best places I have found to purchase PCs are MicroCenter and ReviveIT. Both sell PCs (including refurbished business PCs) at great prices. MicroCenter has a location in Tustin CA, and ReviveIT is located in Meza AZ. Don't let your ego ("I built this PC myself") reduce your bang for the buck! Let PC manufacturers save you money on the bulk of the PC and then use the money you saved to upgrade what you need to upgrade and provide better cameras for your security system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My opinion after reading all the above...
  • Your proposed build is specced above what is needed—unless you plan on running 8mp for all 10-14 cameras, in which case you should probably go for 32 GB RAM too. If you're running a mix of 2-4mp cameras, you do not need an octa-core i9. Anything i7-8700 or above should be plenty and leave room for future additions. A great site to help visualize/rank various CPU options can be found here (just hit [Ctrl] + [F] and key in your CPU to find it on the table).
  • I believe the computer you already have would be a great place to start. It's a bit under-powered for 14 cameras (especially if they're 4mp), but it will get you started and you'll know when you need something more powerful. Blue Iris is easy to activate and deactivate and transfer to another PC. BlueIris has also recently introduced a new feature called SubStreaming, which runs things like motion detection on the lower resolution substream from the camera, greatly reducing the CPU and memory load. This could allow your existing PC to handle all the cameras with ease.
  • It is almost always cheaper to buy a PC than to build one, due to the quantity purchasing power of companies like HP, Dell, PowerSpec, etc. The best places I have found to purchase PCs are MicroCenter and ReviveIT. Both sell PCs (including refurbished business PCs) at great prices. MicroCenter has a location in Tustin CA, and ReviveIT is located in Meza AZ. Don't let your ego ("I built this PC myself") reduce your bang for the buck! Let PC manufacturers save you money on the bulk of the PC and then use the money you saved to upgrade what you need to upgrade and provide better cameras for your security system.
Well 10 of the cameras I have right now are 8mp.