Hikvision camera admin password reset tool

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was using the SADP tool. But the SADP tool requires the camera password to change the ipaddres
did you change it from the default?

ajason

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you mean did I change the default camera ip address? If that's what you're asking, yes I did.. The default address is 192.168.1.64. I tried changing it to 192.168.0.64 and several other .0.XX addresses. I also tried just leaving the default address -- but nothing works. The image shows one of my change attempts.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to understand what happened here. You purchased a new camera and dont know the password? the default on hikvision is 12345...The user is admin
I am assuming you never changed the password because you cannot access the camera..if that is the case, dont use the passowrd recovery...just change the ip and hit save...
If this doesnt work, you can access the camera directly by hooking it up to your pc and changing your pc's ipv4 address to 192.168.1.5... if you dont have 12v power, connect the pc and the camera to a switch...dont connect the router to the switch for this procedure.

ajason

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is what is happening:

I just received this 4MP camera from China today.

I connected it to my Hikvision NVR. It was "seen" but not added because of the 192.168.1.64 address. (I am running on a 192.168.0.x network)

I tried to change the IP address thru the NVR but it requires the password. The old "12345" does NOT work on the newer firmware cameras. (Mine is 5.3.2)

I changed the address of a laptop to 192.168.1.xx and then connected and powered the camera. I started SADP.

SADP sees the camera but it will not allow an address change without the password.

I tried using the password reset tool but that didn't work either.

I realize that I could probably back the firmware to an earlier version (which would restore the 12345 password) but I'm afraid of losing some of the advanced features of this new 4MP camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is what is happening:

I just received this 4MP camera from China today.

I connected it to my Hikvision NVR. It was "seen" but not added because of the 192.168.1.64 address. (I am running on a 192.168.0.x network)

I tried to change the IP address thru the NVR but it requires the password. The old "12345" does NOT work on the newer firmware cameras. (Mine is 5.3.2)

I changed the address of a laptop to 192.168.1.xx and then connected and powered the camera. I started SADP.

SADP sees the camera but it will not allow an address change without the password.

I tried using the password reset tool but that didn't work either.

I realize that I could probably back the firmware to an earlier version (which would restore the 12345 password) but I'm afraid of losing some of the advanced features of this new 4MP camera.
I would not mess with the firmware. The password should still be 12345 - it doesnt make sense that they changed it...try connecting to the camera directly with your pc..

ajason

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would not mess with the firmware. The password should still be 12345 - it doesnt make sense that they changed it...try connecting to the camera directly with your pc..

You are correct. I connected directly with my laptop using Chrome. I entered 12345 as the pw and then I was required to change the pw. Which I did. Then I changed the ip address using SADP -- and that worked.

But I have a new problem: When I connect the camera to my NVR, the camera is "seen" but not added to the list of cameras. I have tried changing the camera's IP several times but nothing gets the camera into the active list.

In the below image, look at the "Serial No" column. You can see that the new camera is at the bottom. Note that the serial number is a different format than the other cameras. It just shows a series of numbers instead of the longer full serial number which includes the model number. The numbers that appear are actually part of the complete serial number (which is visible in SADP) and are the numbers that follow the "WF" in the long serial number.

My NVR is a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P with firmware: v3.0.6

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@ajason I havent messed with NVR setup in a while...so hopefully someone can help you with particular settings in the NVR.
You might want to try deleting one of the non used cameras, like D8 and see if it will then allow you to add your new camera. Or edit d8 with the ip address of the new cam...

Last edited by a moderator:

ajason

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@ajason I havent messed with NVR setup in a while...so hopefully someone can help you with particular settings in the NVR.
You might want to try deleting one of the non used cameras, like D8 and see if it will then allow you to add your new camera. Or edit d8 with the ip address of the new cam...
Fenderman, thanks much. I did try those things. But it will not allow me to delete any camera. And when I change the camera's address to one of those shown, the camera is never recognized at all.

Much thanks for your help anyway.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@jason Looking at your NVR screen shot, I notice that your three cameras belong to the same network 192.168.0.XXX. That means all your three cameras are connected to the switch of your network and not your NVR PoE internal switch. Is that so?
Usually the first 8 camera entries in the NVR list are the ones connected to the NVR PoE switch and usually have consecutive IP numbers starting from 192.18.0.2 up to 192.168.0.9. In your case the second camera has an IP 192.168.0.11 which is outside the range of the NVR internal IP range. It seems that at some point in the past you connected the second camera at your main LAN (not at the NVR) and then you reconnected the camera at the NVR and therefore the NVR kept the external IP hence the XXX.XXX.XXX.11.

Also usually the inernal NVR IP range is 192.168.254.2 up to the number of the cameras the NVR is licensed. You say that your LAN is on the range 192.168.0.XXX. Therefore it seems that you have changed the NVR internal IP range to 192.168.0XXX in order to match your LAN IP range. That s wrong, or at least enough to create the problems you have even though the NVR internal PoE lan is isolated from the external LAN.

Also there is a documented problem or disfunctionality regarding the assignement of the camera IPs between the internal PoE switch and the external LAN, in another thread in this forum.

There are a lot of contradictions in you setup.
Please confirm my assumptions above.

Here is my proposal.
1. Diconnect all your cameras fom everywhere and understad all my proposed steps before you execute them.
2. Ensure that the IPs of the NVR internal LAN have consecutive IPs starting from XXX.XXX.XXX.2 up to XXX.XXX.XXX.9. If that is not the case, then try to change all the IPs at the NVR camera list manually to make them consecutive.
3. Since your external LAN is of the range 192.168.0.XXX then ensure the IP of the NVR is in this range, say 192.168.0.100. Ensure that this IP IS NOT in the DHCP IP range of your router. If it is, either limit the DHCP range pool OR change the NVR IP outside the DHCP IP pool range. Mind you, so far I am not talking about the NVR internal PoE LAN swich.
4. Ensure that you can access the NVR web interface from your LAN side.
5. Lets configure now the NVR internal PoE switch for the cameras. Set the NVR internal cameras gateway to 192.168.254.1. This is the usual default IP from HIK.
6. Reboot the NVR and you must notice that the IPs in the NVR camera list have changed to 192.168.254.2 - 192.168.54.9 (even though you have no cameras connected).

We have finished with the NVR setup. Continue with the cameras.

7. At this moment your cameras have IPs like 192.168.0.XXX. If you connect them to your LAN, you will be able to access them normaly. Change the IP of one camera to 192.168.254.2, the gateway to 192.168.254.1 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. After the IP change and camera reboot you will not be able to access the camera from the LAN, which is normal. (Remember if you want to change the camera IP, change your laptop IP to 192.168.254.1 and connect the camera and the laptop to a switch or router on their own, avoid crossover cables)
8. Connect the camera to your NVR and reboot the NVR. You shoud be able to see the camera in the NVR camera list. If you cannot see the camera or you get any error, remember that you must set the camera password correctly in the camera definition of the NVR to the camera password you have defined in the camera. Remember the NVR is just another user accessing the camera automatically. If the NVR tries to log to the camera with the wrong camera password you will get an error.
9. If your NVR has the "Virtual host" feature enable it. Now this camera is accesibe from the LAN with an address 192.168.0.100:65001 (i.e. the NVR IP plus the internal ports 65001-65008). The next camera will be accessible as 192.168.0.100:65002 and so on.
10. If above steps are succesfull, repeat steps 7-9 for every camera seperately and assigning a camera IP like 192.168.254.3 and so on. Never connect many cameras all of them at the first time.

If you have any problems at any of the above steps, report back and send us screen shots of the network settings of the NVR and the camera. Ensure that you always tell us the following information.
1. The LAN router IP
2. The DHCP IP pool range of the router
3. The IP of the NVR
4. The IP of the NVR internal gateway of the PoE switch
5. The IPs of the camera.

Apologies for the long post but clear instructions are always long (the occupational hazard!!!).

ajason

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before I try your procedures, I want to make sure I have provided all the correct information:

1. The cameras are all connected directly into the NVR POE ports.
2. The NVR's LAN cable goes directly to my Broadband router, which is on 10.0.0.1
3. The NVR has been given a fixed address: 10.0.0.10
4. Broadband router has ports forwarded to the NVR and is DMZ'ed to another router
5. Initially, when installed, the NVR had been connected to a switch which is connected to my "main" router (not the Broadband router) which is on the 192.168.0.X range
6. When connected to the switch and then to my main router, the NVR had a 192.168.0.XX address. (But not now)
7. I don't think I have ever changed the internal IP address range of the NVR. Actually, I don't think that can be done.

Does this information alter your instructions?

Thanks!

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before I try your procedures, I want to make sure I have provided all the correct information:

1. The cameras are all connected directly into the NVR POE ports.
2. The NVR's LAN cable goes directly to my Broadband router, which is on 10.0.0.1
3. The NVR has been given a fixed address: 10.0.0.10
4. Broadband router has ports forwarded to the NVR and is DMZ'ed to another router
5. Initially, when installed, the NVR had been connected to a switch which is connected to my "main" router (not the Broadband router) which is on the 192.168.0.X range
6. When connected to the switch and then to my main router, the NVR had a 192.168.0.XX address. (But not now)
7. I don't think I have ever changed the internal IP address range of the NVR. Actually, I don't think that can be done.

Does this information alter your instructions?

Thanks!
So your have a broadband router at 10.0.0.1 and your NVR is at 10.0.10. OK so far. If the NVR is on a DMZ then you have a security hole and your NVR is unsecured, not good.
You have provided me only info for 1 and 3 of my last 5 points in my post. Plase provide the rest.
The NVR internal PoE switch gateway can only be defined in the NVR native interface, not through the NVR web interface.
Mixing two different class networks between the NVR and the cameras is challenging for the HIKVision firmware. Do your first two cameras work properly?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ajason
I previous post of ours you say that your LAN is 192.168.0.X and in your last post you say your internet router is at 10.0.0.1 and your NVR is at 10.0.0.1. Some is wrong is here or am I missing something?

Please clarify your current situation according to my last 5 points in mylon post.

ajason

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
-- The NVR is not on a DMZ. The broadband router has certain ports forwarded to the NVR. The DMZ is to the main router which is firewalled.

-- The two cameras work fine. The NVR can be accessed over the internet and the cameras can be viewed.

1. The LAN router IP: 10.0.0.1
2. The DHCP IP pool range of the router: 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.252
3. The IP of the NVR: 10.0.0.10 (fixed)
4. The IP of the NVR internal gateway of the PoE switch: I don't know where this data can be found. (Just to be clear, I am using the internal POE ports on the NVR)
5. The IPs of the camera.: The IP's of the cameras are shown in the image that you commented upon: 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.11

ajason

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Broadband router is on 10.0.0.1. The NVR is assigned to: 10.0.0.10.

The main (not broadband) router is assigned 192.168.0.1 for the LAN.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
-- The NVR is not on a DMZ. The broadband router has certain ports forwarded to the NVR. The DMZ is to the main router which is firewalled.

-- The two cameras work fine. The NVR can be accessed over the internet and the cameras can be viewed.

1. The LAN router IP: 10.0.0.1
2. The DHCP IP pool range of the router: 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.252
3. The IP of the NVR: 10.0.0.10 (fixed)
4. The IP of the NVR internal gateway of the PoE switch: I don't know where this data can be found. (Just to be clear, I am using the internal POE ports on the NVR)
5. The IPs of the camera.: The IP's of the cameras are shown in the image that you commented upon: 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.11
First of all it is not a good idea to used fixed IP addresses that belong to a DHCP pool. Change your DHCP pool to 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.99. (If you need more than 98 dynamic IPs o LAN devices (now or in the future) then increase the upper limit of the DHCP. Assign to the NVR the IP 10.0.0.150. Wit this modification should continue to work as before.

I have understood correcty that all your cameras are connected the NVR PoE ports. The IP of the NVR internal PoE switch or cameras gateway (192.168.254.1 or 192.168.0.1 according to your setup) should be somewhere in the network or camera setting of the NVR native menus. I hope HIK as not removed this setting. You can verify the camera gateway from the camera network settings in the camera menus if you access the camera menus.

How do you access now the camera menus?

Can you capture all the NVR menus somehow?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So you have a broadband router connecting you to the internet with an IP 10.0.0.1, the NVR at 10.0.0.10 and then you have another main router with IP 192.168.0.1 for all the LAN devices except the NVR, behind the broadband router?
1. How do you bridge the two different class networks (10.0.0.X to 192.168.0.X)?
2. Why do you have such a complicated network configuration?

My instructions still stand valid. You may have to make your own IP assignement decisions. However ensure that you can access every camera on its own, without the NVR, by connecting the camera to a single PC or laptop and you can successfully log on to the camera before you execute my instructions.

As a conclusion you have a problem with logging succesfully to your new camera and additionally your network IP setup is not optimally configured and rather over compliated. These are two different and separate isues which should not be related, but you never know.

You must have your own reasons.

ajason

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First of all it is not a good idea to used fixed IP addresses that belong to a DHCP pool. Change your DHCP pool to 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.99. (If you need more than 98 dynamic IPs o LAN devices (now or in the future) then increase the upper limit of the DHCP. Assign to the NVR the IP 10.0.0.150. Wit this modification should continue to work as before.

I have understood correcty that all your cameras are connected the NVR PoE ports. The IP of the NVR internal PoE switch or cameras gateway (192.168.254.1 or 192.168.0.1 according to your setup) should be somewhere in the network or camera setting of the NVR native menus. I hope HIK as not removed this setting. You can verify the camera gateway from the camera network settings in the camera menus if you access the camera menus.

How do you access now the camera menus?

Can you capture all the NVR menus somehow?

You gave me many ideas. I worked on this problem and tried several things -- including updating the NVR to the latest firmware.

I now believe that the problem is not with my (revised) configuration but with the new 4MP camera.

-- I changed the "Internal NIC Address" to 192.168.1.1 -- Rebooted the NVR.
-- This caused an automatic change in all the POE port address: They changed to 192.168.1.x AND -- the NVR ALSO automatically changed each camera's IP address - from their previous 192.168.0.x addresses.
-- The result was that the list of camera and camera ports (D1-D8) were numbered sequentially (see image).

At this point there was peace in the valley. Everything worked. So then I connected my new 4MP camera (which had an IP of 192.168.1.63). It was seen but not accepted (see image). Still does not work. I tried setting this camera to different IP's, including 192.168.1.4 but that didn't work either.

* I connected another cameras, a 3MP dome, and it was automatically accepted and installed. The NVR even changed the camera's internal IP address. But it will not accept the 4MP cam.

I have not made all the changes you suggested. I think I identified that the problem is with the camera, not my settings. Do you think I still need to make those changes?

Attachments

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am glad that my instructions helped you up to a point.

Now from my experience when a camera is connected at the LAN side of the NVR (i.e. not connected at the NVR PoE switch) it appears at the end of the camera list of the NVR interface. So according to my experiene and according to your last picture your new 4MP camera seems to be connected at the LAN side of the NVR. Also if your new 4MP camera has DHCP enabled and it is connected at your LAN, then your LAN router assign the new camera the 192.168.1.63 IP, which is also in line with your picture. SO where have you connected the new 4MP camera?

Therefore if all fails, ensure that your new 4MP camera has a fixed IP 192.168.1.4 (i.e. disable the camera DHCP from the camera menus) and connect it at the NVR PoE switch.
If that does not work, also configure manually the third camera port at the NVR with the same settings (IP, gateway, mask, password) as the new 4MP camera.

On a side note, the PoE switch inteface gateway IP is defined in the "PoE Setup" menu of your first picture. I hope I am right. Please confirm. Also please confirm if you have the Virtual host feature and if you have two SATA interfaces.

Have you managed to login properly to your new 4MP camera from an isolated LAN?
I believe that your older cameras follow a different login protocol (or procedure) than the new 4MP camera (in the last few months HIK has changed their attitude towards security functionality in their firmwares and procedures during setup). When you updated your NVR firmware, did you define a new password for each of the old cameras in the NVR camera list? In other words, how did the new NVR firmware changed the old cameras IPs? Why this procedure does not work in the new 4MP camera?

Another idea would be to remove the old two cameras and connect only the new 4MP camera. Now that you undestand better how the NVR network configuration works, concentrate your trials only at the new camera and use the old cameras in order to confirm whatever changes you make, if they fail with the new camera, if they work with the old cameras.